web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A New Bed



My new bed arrived. But first, I had to make room for it. That meant leaning the old mattress and box springs against the wall, which isn't easy because they weigh about a hundred tons.

Since all of the linens were off the bed anyway, that seemed like the perfect time to wash everything. That took pretty much the entire day.

Once the floor was cleared, I could see the piles of fur and dirt where the head of the bed was. Of course, I had to vacuum and wash the wall. While vacuuming, it made sense to do the rest of the house too.

The carpet still looked a little dirty, so I shampooed it. But I only did half of the carpets. I was running out of time and energy.

And, there is no point in cleaning the carpet and leaving the wood floors dirty. They had to be mopped. And the furniture needed dusting. Had to do that too.

I was also expecting a repairman to fix my oven, so the kitchen had to be cleaned too. Heaven forbid a repairman see how I really live. And just in case he wanted to use the bathroom, that had to be cleaned as well.

The repairman turned out to be a blue-eyed blond woman with a pony tail. It was a pleasant surprise and a good idea. Many women aren't comfortable having strange men come into their homes. Female repair people are less threatening and a good business idea.

Anyway, the sofa slipcovers were also dirty and since I was doing piles of laundry anyway, that got added to the laundry.

Once the bed was set up, I had to put everything back on the bed. Because the delivery men put the mattress and box springs on the bed, I had to pull the mattress back off, so I could put the dust ruffle and electric blanket cord on top of the box springs. Then, the mattress needed to be wrestled back on the bed.

The whole time I was fighting with MacKenzie who refused to get off the bed. Locking her out of the room caused her to cry and howl, which I can't stand to listen to. So, I had to make the bed with her in the bed. At work I do that all of the time, but it is more work. She growled every time I made her move. I growled back.

I'm pleased with the final result, but I'm not sure if I should paint the bed white. What do you think?


~ Home

12 Comments:

At 6/13/2007 01:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love having company because it's a good excuse to clean the entire house. Dave calls it a "cleaning frenzy" because I clean for hours on end.

I like the way the dark wood looks against the white linens.

 
At 6/13/2007 01:34:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

I vote to not paint the bed white. I like the way it looks now. Very nice!

 
At 6/13/2007 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Looove the look.

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one that has to make the bed with a dog in the middle. Or two or three.

 
At 6/14/2007 12:34:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, cleaning frenzy is my word for it also. If it were not for company, my house would never get cleaned.

Irene, thanks for your vote.

Antonia, it looks like the keep it dark vote is winning. Aren't dogs a total joy?

 
At 6/14/2007 07:44:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I vote for leaving it the colour it is... it looks really smart

 
At 6/14/2007 02:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never paint wood that's not icky! It's beautiful the way it is! :)

 
At 6/14/2007 02:46:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

And never paint white when you have pond-loving dogs. ;)

 
At 6/14/2007 04:16:00 PM, Blogger Mahala said...

I think it's beautiful, I wouldn't paint it.

 
At 6/14/2007 06:45:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Looks very nice. Don't paint.

 
At 6/15/2007 07:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another vote for leaving the wood.. Painting it would be like getting new hardwood floors and then putting carpet over them!

 
At 6/15/2007 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, anon, Dave, Mahala, ALan and Il nurse, thanks for your votes. It's unanimous, the wood stays black. For now. I still need to see what my mom thinks. :)

 
At 6/15/2007 01:20:00 PM, Blogger Surgeon In My Dreams said...

Noooo - don't paint it. It is beautiful...

My dog and I play this same game every time we change the sheets.

Reading about the dust and hair made me just grin - just to know I am not the only person willing to live with the mess to have the love of a dog...or 3.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home