web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Birthday Presents

Tomorrow is my birthday, so I bought a present for me. Doesn't everyone do that? I bought something that I haven't had since I was a kid, a bed. I have slept on either a mattress on the floor or a mattress resting on the flimsy metal stand that came with the mattress. It seemed like it was time to do something about that.

Since I was getting what will perhaps be the only bed I ever own, I decided to do it right. I got a BIG bed with four posters and intricately carved wood. I may need to paint it white to fit my fantasy of a proper fairy princess bed, but we'll see. Not that there are mosquitoes here, but I also got mosquito netting to complete the gauzy, gaudy fantasy.

Being faced with my mortality caused me to buy one other present that may prove to be one of my dumber ideas, a skateboard. Now I just need to find a place to ride where the neighbors won't see me making a fool of myself.


~ Home

11 Comments:

At 6/02/2007 07:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A skateboard? LOL! I hope you got knee/elbow pads and a helmet, too. I would probably kill myself in the first five minutes. Dave got me a new bicycle for Mother's day. I haven't been on a bike in years. He also got me a helmet and makes me wear jeans so if I fall, the jeans will protect me from road rash. Hopefully.

I hope the dogs don't tear up the pretty new mosquito netting.

 
At 6/03/2007 09:41:00 AM, Blogger may said...

you have the same birthday as my brother. happy birthday to both of you! congratulations on your new gifts, and have fun:)

 
At 6/03/2007 02:39:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Based on many of your previous posts, I don't think the neighbors would notice anything out of the ordinary.

 
At 6/03/2007 02:41:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Oh, and Happy Birthday too!

 
At 6/03/2007 04:48:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

LOL, Alan! :)

Happy Birthday, Melissa!

What Connie neglected to mention is that she also got some padded bike shorts. Maybe if you wore those, falling on your bum would be less painful. :)

 
At 6/03/2007 09:33:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, tearing up netting is more of a cat thing. It sounds like you should have fun riding a bike in such a pretty area.

May, thanks.

Alan, lol. Thanks.

Dave, if Connie is like most women, she probably doesn't want to wear padding around her bottom. You won't see me in padded bottoms no matter how much they protect me from falls. :)

 
At 6/04/2007 10:09:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Birthday! Show us your gifts!

 
At 6/04/2007 10:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the bike shorts. The extra cush is worth the illusion of a large bum.

Hope your birthday was grand!

 
At 6/05/2007 12:26:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

And she wears sensible shoes! :)

 
At 6/06/2007 09:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 6/07/2007 01:49:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, I'm still waiting for delivery on the bed, so I can't get a photo yet.

Connie, rather than a racing style bike with the hard narrow seat, I would like a bike with a wide soft seat. It's not pretty, but it wouldn't require padding. :)

Dave, lol, a girl has to have some fun.

Thanks, Beajerry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home