web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Comparative Status Symbols

A shoe store in New York City has been given its own zip code. I don't care one way or another about that. What caught my attention was the accompanying article in The LA Times in which New York women described their feelings toward shoes. Since the woman interviewed all happened to be in the shoe store, they probably already had an affinity for shoes and don't reflect the opinion of all New York women, but still.

The women interviewed related to Sex In The City's Carrie Bradshaw and her need for five hundred dollar shoes. Nothing else would do.

I don't understand that kind of thinking at all. Everyone I see wears reasonably priced tennis shoes or sandals. Even if someone wore five hundred dollar feathered stilettos, no one around here would be impressed.

The women justified their expensive taste in shoes as being a way of showing people " who they are." How silly is that? People in LA aren't so shallow as to judge others by the shoes they wear. That's what cars are for.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 5/27/2007 09:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. Maybe because shoes are a less expensive status symbol? No need to change heels every so many steps, and just pitch them and buy new ones when they get old.

 
At 5/28/2007 08:22:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

"That's what cars are for."

Great line!

I can't tell a Nordstrom shoe from a Payless shoe, unless the wife leaves the credit card slip lying around (yikes!)

 
At 5/28/2007 04:56:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Anon, also, there is none of that leasing or buying decision making involved.

Alan, If it's on my foot, I can tell a Nordstrom shoe from a Payless shoe. I care about my feet and buy decent shoes for health reasons, but I've never paid over one hundred bucks for shoes, unless I get several pairs for that price. I'm good at finding bargains.

Annette needs to do a better job of hiding receipts. :)

 
At 5/28/2007 11:24:00 PM, Blogger shrimplate said...

It's fairly difficult to distinguish between a Lexus and a Corolla, too.

But I would guess that you're talking Bentleys and Ferraris. Those are what you union nurses drive, eh?!

 
At 5/29/2007 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

No, that's what our chauffeurs drive. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home