web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Pond Water And A Misrepresentation



These aren't photos of the pond. It's what the pond water looks like when I drain it into the rest of the yard.
My big project for the day was cleaning out the pond. I did this by pumping out half of the water in the pond, treating the water with a de-chlorinating agent and then re-filling it with water. I did that twice. With 75 percent of the water replaced, I expected to see some improvement in the water quality. There was no change. It still looks like pea soup. I wonder how many times I need to do that before the water looks half-way decent.

MacKenzie, in the top photo, needed to get a dog license, so I went through the papers that came with her to prove that she's vaccinated and spayed. There was one big surprise. She was advertised as being about four years old. The vet's records say that she is 18 months old. That's good news. I'll get to have her even longer.
I also found the reason why she was given up to the pound. She was "uncooperative." I have no idea what that means, but I find her to be very anxious to please. Since she does her best to please me, I would classify her as being very cooperative. She does, however have other issues, such as not wanting to share me with the other dogs. But, we are making progress with that.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 5/22/2007 10:27:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

*cough* Pond filter! *cough*

Oh, did I say that out loud? :)

 
At 5/23/2007 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I have one. It's a big barrel filled with plastic things that trap algae and dirt. The water filters through three kinds of meshy stuff, one of which is carbon, before getting to the plastic things.

I think what I need are two ponds so that I can have a place to put the fish when a pond needs to be completely emptied and scrubbed clean.

 
At 5/28/2007 10:08:00 AM, Blogger BeFrank said...

I've tried a few things. A heavy duty UV filter works for me. Barley also helps. I fill three plastic hamster balls with barley in mesh bags.

I still have to clean it out every two years.

 
At 5/28/2007 04:43:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Befrank, I'm honored that you visited my blog. I'm a big fan of yours.

I have a UV filter in the garage. It used to be in the pond, but it didn't work for me and I really needed the outlet.

I tried barley in the mesh bags, but it didn't work either and I ended up with a lot of debri in the pond. The mesh bags broke open when the barley expanded and created a mess that a year later I'm still dealing with.(I have no idea what a plastic hamster ball is.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home