web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Computer Woes, Biohazards And Jello

I had heard the horror stories. This kind of thing happened to other people. Now, it was my turn. My computer would not connect with the Internet. *gasp*

I tried everything. It was hopeless. I picked up the phone and after a long, complicated conversation with a computer, a live person finally picked up the phone, in India.

The stories were true. They really make you talk to people in India when you need help with your computer.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against India and the guy I spoke to couldn't have been any nicer, I just had such a terrible time understanding him. Can't they get tech people in America? Of course it would cost more, but wouldn't it be worth it to get people that can be understood?

Anyway, the problem wasn't with my computer. The system was down in my area and has since been fixed.




At work, an aide put my patient on a bedpan. When she was finished, I removed the pan. It had the roommate's name on it. If I am ever hospitalized and need to use a bedpan, I sure hope that I don't have to share one with my roommate.




At the nursing station, there are spots on the ceiling in a spray pattern about five feet across. It looks like blood, although I can't rule out liquid stool. Either way, what's it doing on the ceiling?




A vegetarian patient asked me for some jello and I gave it to her. Jello isn't a vegetarian food. I knew this and apparently she did not. Was I wrong not to tell her?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 5/10/2007 08:20:00 AM, Blogger Surgeon In My Dreams said...

My kids were chasing each other once while holding cups of hot chocolate. One fell. Guess where the chocolate went? Maybe the nurses on the other shift were playing tag while drinking smoothies.

Jello - I definitely would not tell her now that it has been eaten.

 
At 5/10/2007 10:41:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

If it wiggles, it's dead animal!

 
At 5/10/2007 01:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

India is country where Ramayana and Mabharat the Epics have been mouth to mouth travelled. When west was groping in Dark this epics have visualised about aeroplanes in Ramyana. If you don't understand India, it is your genes which are to to be investigated.

 
At 5/10/2007 02:09:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I guess my jeans need to be investigated.

 
At 5/10/2007 08:12:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

lol..

Isn't it funny how companies are relying more heavily on less expensive labor? It seems to be India and China these days. Everyone has to work, I guess.

I sit next to a Kenyan at work. I've developed an ear for his Kenyan accent. Sometimes, I find myself speaking with it. Quite scarey, actually. :)

Now go read some epics and hitch a ride on an aeroplane.

 
At 5/11/2007 08:49:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Surgeon, I was guessing that the nurses were swinging blood tubing, but your theory works too.

Dave, that's funny. Maybe Jello should put pictures of aninals being rendered on the label.

Anon, lol. Thanks for proving my point about the problem of communicating with people who speak different languages. Are you India's answer to Borat? :)

Lisa, that's quite a talent you have. I could never do a Philipino accent even though that's all I hear all day, but then, there are so many different types, it's an overwhelming challenge.

 
At 5/11/2007 11:47:00 PM, Blogger Trish said...

On the brown marks, my guess would be betadine. We have that all over my hospital...

 
At 5/13/2007 07:47:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

pf, it could be, but I think there is a slight reddish cast. It's too far up to get a good look at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home