web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Walking And Planting

It's annoying when things don't work right, like my hip, for example. My hips are bad anyway, but something really bad happened recently and now I can barely walk. Last night I worked and the pain was unbearable. Every few steps, there would be a jolt of pain that would make me gasp and hop. Had we not been so short-staffed, I would have gone home. Today, I didn't go to work at all.

I'm hoping that this is related to the dog walks and that my hip will heal if I take it easy. There is a big difference between walking two dogs and three. With two, I can walk. With three dogs, I have to run, whether I like it or not. With the degenerative changes in my hip, I should not be running at all.

A hip replacement is in my future, but I hope that it is in the distant future. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I'm primarily going to ask for time off from work so that I can try to heal on my own.

This will be the end of the dog walks. The dogs aren't going to like that. Maybe I can take them for drives instead.

In the meantime, my ambulating problem didn't stop me from planting twenty tomato plants this afternoon. I just sat on the ground and dragged myself along. If I get one tomato, I will be doing better than last year. It's probably cheaper to just buy tomatoes, but not as challenging. I'm not going to let last year's crop failure stop me from trying again. And this year, I'm not going to stake the tomatoes with ties that are used for tying up dead bodies, not that I'm superstitious. But, why take chances?


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 5/04/2007 03:18:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Sorry to hear your hip is bugging you so much. I heard that hips are better than knees, as far as immediate mobility.

 
At 5/04/2007 10:56:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

That's true and hips are much less painful as well, but if it becomes infected, the consequences are worse for hips.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home