web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Feeling Stupid

One of the nurses was telling us about the system for getting narcs in the new hospital. I heard her say that it would use tongue prints. What she really said was thumb prints. What a relief. I wasn't sure that I wanted to lick something that had been licked by so many people before me.

She also gave us a little lecture about C diff, a common infection. She said that last year 3oo million people died from it. I started laughing and she wanted to know what was so funny. I asked her if that was in the U.S. alone. It was, which got me laughing harder. You would think something that catastrophic would make the front page of the papers, but then, who would be around to print the papers, much less read them?




My patient told me that she takes pigitron. I asked her to repeat it several times and she was definitely saying pigitron. I looked up her records to see what she was really taking. It was pioglitazone. Now, I have to be honest, I have no idea how to pronounce that word either. That is why I pronounce it as actos, another name for the same drug. Too bad she didn't know that trick.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 4/24/2007 03:24:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I wonder what the actual figure should be. People are dropping like flies, I guess ?? :)

 
At 4/24/2007 09:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people sound much more intelligent when they don't say anything at all.

 
At 4/24/2007 01:14:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

and here I was worried about avian flu.... crikey....

 
At 4/24/2007 07:52:00 PM, Blogger Marc said...

LOL! Kiss my ass! (How about just a cheek, huh?)

 
At 4/25/2007 12:32:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, I have no idea. I tried doing a Google search and couldn't get much in the way of figures. Although people can die from C diff, I've never seen it happen.

Anon, that's true for me too, sometimes.

Madwag, there is no shortage of things to worry about, but C diff doesn't make my list. :)

Marc, how about we make it a facial cheek? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home