web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Why Is It So Hard To Get A Used Mutt?



The Golden Retriever rescue people have ignored my e-mail concerning Taylor. If I was looking for a home for a used mutt, I think that I would respond to inquiries from qualified people. I know that they do good work and want what is best for the Goldens, but I'm finding this group to be increasingly annoying.

I'm also starting to look at shelters. It's riskier because the dogs haven't been tested in homes and infections can run rampant in shelters, but Tommy came from a shelter and he's one of the best dogs I've ever had.

The photo is of a shelter dog. They say she's a collie mix and named her Lassie, but I think she's a Golden mix with some collie. If I don't hear from someone soon, Lassie will be mine.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 4/15/2007 06:54:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

These types of organizations are a real pain. Annette had a similar episode at a cat rescue place. They had a ten page questionaire and wanted to inspect the home, etc. It was totally stupid and so she walked out. They're just cats afterall! Hundreds of unwanted ones are put down every week. Seems the folks would be happy to find anyone willing to take a cat. We found Bob at the local Humane Society shelter. No hassles at all and he turned out to be a great cat.

Lassie looks like a happy dog. She'll probably be just fine.

 
At 4/15/2007 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I agree... I don't get it Melissa...that is just stupid. I understand them wanting to get a good home for the dogs but not getting back to you is just really bad. How sad. Well if you end up w/ Lassie... I'm sure it will be a blessing. Things work that way sometimes... maybe she needs you more than Taylor???

 
At 4/15/2007 02:51:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Lassie is a pretty girl. I think she is more golden than collie, as well.

 
At 4/15/2007 03:46:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, those organizations seem to be run by well-meaning nut cases. I was totally put off by the application and home inspection too and I'm beginning to suspect that that is just the first of many hoops they expect me to jump through.

Madwag, I'm sure that Lassie needs me the most since she is in a shelter and Taylor is being fostered in a nice home.

Lisa, Lassie looks like a sweet girl. She would just need a different name.

 
At 4/15/2007 07:05:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Tell the rescue to get lost, and just go get Lassie. :) I'm sure she'd take well to a rename.

 
At 4/15/2007 08:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I had gotten thru the written application and home inspection (very stressful!) and were supposed to go meet a dog we were interested in. About an hour before our appt. he got a SWAT call-out (he's a cop). Had to cancel the appt. and they wouldn't let me reschedule! I was told, "It takes a good deal of work to get the dogs ready for these meetings. We won't be making another appt. for you."

I was SHOCKED! Black-listed from the rescue site! It wasn't the same one you are going through, but sounds like the same mindset. Too bad.

Best of luck to you...whatever dog you end up with will be lucky!

 
At 4/17/2007 12:15:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa #2, I am shocked by your story. Those rescue people are completely nuts. I don't think that they really want to adopt the dogs. They seem to look for any excuse to maintain control over their dog kingdom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home