web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Another Nervous Breakdown

It's never a good sign when the nurse you are relieving at change of shift is crying and trembling. This time, though, it was not a sign of things to come. It just meant that she was a registry nurse.

This nurse had an unusually low crying threshold, even for a registry nurse. She asked me to witness her waste half of a tranquilizer. She cut the pill in half and it didn't break equally. The nurse started crying again and didn't know what to do.

Since the patient needing the pill was screaming and driving everyone nuts, that seemed like a lucky break to me. Just give the patient the larger piece and everyone will be happy. We aren't afraid of being "generous" here. It must be stressful for registry never quite knowing what they can get away with.

So many registry nurses appear to be on the verge of a breakdown that it cause me to wonder about cause and effect. Does being a registry nurse cause otherwise stable nurses to lose their minds?


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 4/13/2007 03:19:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

What does a registry nurse normally do?

 
At 4/13/2007 04:20:00 PM, Blogger Marc said...

Well thats kind of like asking if being pentecostal leads one to take up serpents.

I guess what I am saying is you'd be blessed to only lose your mind. :-)

G'day!

 
At 4/13/2007 04:53:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, a registry nurse is like a substitute teacher. She is called in from an outside agency to work when the hospital is desperately short.

She is just a nurse like everyone else, but much more nervous.

Marc, that reminds me of a George Bush quote, "A mind is a terrible thing to lose."

 
At 4/13/2007 05:01:00 PM, Blogger Marc said...

Well, then I guess a partial loss with hope of a return will have to do, huh?

As for my prior comment, ....or are we talking apples and oranges again?

Which reminds me, how comes the hunt for a new pet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home