web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Flight Risk


My new little girl, Lassie, is terrified of me. When I bend down to pet her, she cries and runs or hits the floor. Her previous owners must have abused her. I would like to track down those evil people and do something to them. It's a good thing that their identity is confidential because otherwise I would end up in jail.

To try and show Lassie that I'm not a threat, I've been lying down on the floor and rolling over on my back. She'll immediately run over, lick me and then plop down on the floor next to me. We're making progress and I hope that some day I can just reach down and pet her without assuming the submissive position.

While I was bringing in the trash cans today, Lassie slipped out the gate and took off. I called her name and she just ran faster, straight for a busy street. If she made it to the street, she wouldn't last five seconds. I also had no hope of catching her. I'm not in bad shape, but I can't outrun a young, healthy dog.

She then made a U turn, headed back and ran past me. I skinned my knee when I lunged at her. She started running up the hill down the middle of the street. I followed, running as fast I could while yelling, "Lassie". Whenever a car came along, I started flapping my arms in the middle of the street to alert them to slow down. I hope that they saw the dog and didn't just think that I had gone crazy.

It was totally hopeless. She was either going to get hit by a car or she was going to disappear around a bend and I would never see her again. I could not run anymore and decided to try one last trick. I laid down on someone's lawn and rolled over on my back. A few seconds later, she ran over to me and sat down next to me. Got her. I picked her up and carried her home.

I was shaking from fear and anger. I had been wanting to give her a bath since I got her, but had been stalling because I didn't want to traumatize her. Now, she was going to get that bath. Afterwards, I had to take a bath because I had as much soapy water on me as she did.

We've since made up.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 4/22/2007 12:21:00 AM, Blogger Marc said...

Hi Melissa. How are you doing?

It's difficult to tell from a picture, but she seems to have kind of a natural, healthy, happy glow. Right on. Nice choice.

She certainly looks happy to be there!

 
At 4/22/2007 05:08:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Wow... that was a good trick. I'm glad you caught her before she got hurt. Someday, you'll figure out what makes Lassie tick.

I hope she enjoyed her bath. :)

 
At 4/22/2007 07:06:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Oh wow...that is scary. Jamie did the same thing to me a few days after we got him. A lady saw our situation and asked me if he would bite her.... I said no...so she bent down and he went to her.... I cried because it was only a matter of seconds that he would have been hit by a car. Lassie will warm up to you in time.... it will just take time and love.

xxx

 
At 4/22/2007 11:25:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

I think she'll come around in time. You seem to have a pretty good way with dogs.

Did the neighbors say anything about you rolling on your back in their yard?

 
At 4/22/2007 06:52:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Marc, she's getting happier everyday.

Lisa, she enjoyed the dog bath about as much as I did.

Madwag, it's lucky that someone came to your rescue, that is scary.

Alan, it's a wonder that they didn't call 911.

 
At 4/22/2007 07:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been my experience that if you run after an animal, it will give chase. Its instinct. Whenever our cat gets out, we simply walk up to him slowly. He has no idea he's being pursued, and we can easily pick him up. I suspect it won't be a problem too much longer, tho, once she realizes what a wonderful mommie you are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home