web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, May 04, 2007

I'm So Lame

When going to the doctor, I don't normally give my underwear any thought because my clothes either all come off or all stay on. Since the doctor never sees my underwear, today I wore old, frayed panties with the elastic stretched out, just the way I like. I can't believe that he wanted to see my hip. I figured that he would just move my legs around until I shrieked. I guess it could be worse, at least they were clean.

A couple of years ago when I injured my left hip, the x-rays showed nothing wrong with my left hip, but moderate degenerative arthritis in my right hip. Today, the x-rays showed nothing wrong with my right hip, but moderate degenerative arthritis of my left hip. Go figure.

Either I had a miraculous cure from arthritis in one hip, only to develop it in the other hip or someone in the x-ray department mislabeled the films or turned around the images. I'm waiting for a radiologist to compare all of the images. Rather than becoming the subject of medical textbooks, I think it more likely that someone screwed up.

Anyway, it's thought that I tore a ligament in my hip and so my leg is no longer being held firmly in place in the socket. Hopefully it will heal on its own. In the meantime, I learned a new trick. If I walk with my leg internally rotated, it seems to hold everything in place. So, with one leg, I'm walking pigeon-toed and with the other, I limp a bit because I've never fully recovered from the first injury a couple of years ago. Getting old is a bitch.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 5/04/2007 11:32:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Getting old sucks... but it beats the alternative, or as my dad often says, "Old age... it isn't for sissies." :)

 
At 5/05/2007 06:15:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

I feel your pain.. literally lol. I have problems with joint and muscle pain, but it migrates all over. I've only recently discovered the pleasure of going to get up from the chair and have my hip "catch."

Never a dull moment.

 
At 5/05/2007 06:49:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I'm sorry to hear about your hip. Maybe there are some exercises that would help it.

 
At 5/05/2007 07:19:00 AM, Blogger may said...

that's what they all say...it's downhill from 40. and i guess that means we always have to wear sexy underwear anytime :)

kidding aside, i hope your hip gets better soon.

 
At 5/05/2007 10:13:00 AM, Blogger My Heart On My Sleeve said...

I am really sorry to hear about that!! I know how it feels, I have it in my cervical spine and it hurts all they way down to my fingertips sometimes. Ultracet helps. I hope you feel better!!!

 
At 5/06/2007 04:26:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Sorry to hear about your hip. I have to walk differently because of mine, too. Doc says nothing is wrong with my hip, either. I think I should trade hips with him and see what he says then. :)

 
At 5/06/2007 11:12:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, silly me, I thought that if I exercised and took good care of myself, I would be in good shape until I suddenly dropped dead in my nineties.

Mahala, oh I know that catch. What a pain.

Gary, once the inflammation goes down, I'm going to try and strengthen the surrounding muscles.

May, forget sexy underwear, I would have settled for underwear that wasn't frayed and hanging. :)

My heart, that's a bad place for arthritis. I'm sorry. At least I only have pain if I walk.

Lisa, that's the problem with x-rays, they don't show soft tissue injury. The only way to really see what's going on with a hip is to open it up.

 
At 5/06/2007 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

How about an MRI?

 
At 5/06/2007 08:45:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I don't know why, but they almost never do MRI's on hips and I've seen it done only to confirm fractures that alluded the x-ray. I don't know if the bone in the socket gets in the way of viewing the soft tissue inside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home