web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Too Blonde To Be A Juror



I got a jury duty summons. If they would actually pick me to be on a jury, I wouldn't mind. My employer pays for jury duty and sitting on a jury is far easier than being a nurse. The problem is that no one wants me. There are so many reasons to keep me off a jury with my legal background and connections that even I would kick me if I were choosing the jury. I will be thanked and excused from service. Guaranteed.

So, it was with annoyance that I got another Summons. What's the point? Being the responsible law abiding person I am, I registered for service and put the dates
I was on call on my calendar. I was required to call the day before each court date to see if they would need me.

The appointed day came, so I called to see to see if I needed to come to court the next day. While working my way through the voice mail, I began reading the Summons. It had the usual warnings about about how failure to respond would result in imprisonment, fine and still having to serve jury duty. These were not people that I wanted to mess with. Then I saw it, the dates for service. I was one week late in calling.

It was a blonde thing. I meant well, but still managed to do something stupid. I was wondering if a warrant had been issued yet for my arrest. After a long wait, the message gave me new dates for service next month. Hopefully, that means everything is okay.

In the meantime, I'm going to be very careful driving. Just in case there is a warrant out there with my name on it, I don't want to do anything that may cause a cop to pull me over.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 6/01/2007 06:16:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

oh crap...that is something I would do... I hope everything gets sorted out.

 
At 6/01/2007 10:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once when I got a jury summons, I arranged for time off work, and then promptly forgot to go. I slept in. I woke up and realized I had missed my jury date. I called them in a panic, and they just laughed and gave me a new jury date. I think they make those things intimidating so you will be afraid to not show up. Otherwise, nobody would want to go.

 
At 6/01/2007 03:31:00 PM, Blogger Mahala said...

The last time I had jury duty, I ended up on the grand jury, which meant I had to serve at least one day each month for a year. During that year I found out that in this county, if you don't show up for jury duty, the sheriff leaves straight from court to go pick you up while everyone waits for him to come back. I never want that to be me lol.

 
At 6/01/2007 04:23:00 PM, Blogger susandennis said...

Several months ago I was chatting with a friend my age (old) and we got on the topic of jury duty and she said she'd never done it. "You've never been called?" "Oh, no, I get the notices. I just toss them out."

I was amazed and shocked and amazed again. I could not imagine doing that. And she was as amazed and shocked that I'd fall for their 'jury scam'!

I know, like you, if I tossed that thing, I'd have a trooper at my door tomorrow and not for milk, cookies and a roll in the sack either.

 
At 6/01/2007 06:09:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

During one jury selection process, the public defender asked what I did for a living. I answered, "I'm a software engineer."

"Does that entail a lot of analysis and logical thought processes?

"Yes it does."

"Your Honor, The defense requests that Mr. Scott be excused."

I guess the last thing they want is a jury full of logical thinkers.

 
At 6/02/2007 04:32:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, perhaps years in the future I'll be pulled over for a traffic violation and be arrested for ignoring jury service. :)

Connie, that sounds like me. We're cut from the same cloth. :)

Mahala, on occasion that happens here too. There is no way of knowing when the judge will decide to make an example of someone.

Alan, you're absolutely right. The lawyer with the weakest case wants stupid jurors who are easily tricked. How else do you explain the O.J. murder trial?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home