web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

A Bad Trip

This is how the trip to Sarah's house began. The South-bound 5 was closed at the Newhall Pass. I wasn't going South, I was going North, but all of the traffic was being diverted North, so it was a bloody mess. I'm guessing that someone drove off the overpass, judging from all of the emergency vehicles parked on it and the rows of people staring over the edge to the freeway below.

This is MacKenzie after she threw up in my purse. See the chicken noodle casserole in my purse? That was her breakfast. This happened near Santa Barbara, so it was still a long drive left with a sick dog and a stinky car.

The trip went downhill from there. MacKenzie has adjusted to my house and behaves like a more or less normal dog. At Sarah's house, the change was too much for her. She was a growling, snapping challenge. We had to leave the next day. So much for my trip.

The drive back was uneventful. Although, I did suddenly remember that today would have been my 25th wedding anniversary if the Son of a Bitch hadn't bailed. But, what can you do? Life goes on. When I got home I had cake and wine to celebrate. I'm better off without him.

Driving through Santa Paula past the miles of citrus ranches, I stopped at a fruit stand. I was able to buy my first California oranges this year. Most of the crop was destroyed from the frost last winter and the local stores sell foreign and totally unacceptable oranges. I also got some strawberries that were so fragrant they hid the scent of dog vomit in my car. They were so good and I was so hungry that I ate a basket without washing them first. They still had tiny strawberry flower petals scattered across them. How could anything that pretty and delicious be dirty?

I'm tired from the marathon driving trip and the dogs are practically comatose. I plan on thoroughly enjoying the rest of my week off.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 6/06/2007 12:26:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

dog vomit... bummer
short trip...bummer
strawberries..fresh!!!.. excellent
I would love to have fresh citris again... ours is from Portugal and Spain I think...mostly. We do have really good apples here :o)

 
At 6/06/2007 06:14:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I wonder if Mackenzie was motion sick. Poor thing.

She must still not be ready to share you with anyone. Oh, and Sarah has dogs, right?

Sorry about your trip. Go down to the beach. Everything will be fine, as long as you pack something margarita-like to take along. :)

I have the week off, too.

 
At 6/06/2007 08:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry your trip was cut short. Your story reminds me of the time I had a friend over to study for an exam. Our cat ran from across the room and coughed up a hairball into her purse that was sitting on the floor. Luckily, she had a good sense of humor and laughed.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation. Spend it with your new boyfriend!

 
At 6/07/2007 01:37:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, our apples aren't especially good. They have either been shipped long distances or been in cold storage for months or both. Do Cherries grow in England?

Lisa, I have been enjoying the rest of my time off. Too bad you live so far away, we could do something together on our week off.

Connie, I guess cats and dogs like a container to throw up in, just like people do. I've heard that cats also like to leave surprises in shoes.

 
At 6/07/2007 08:45:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Looks just almost like I-5 here in Seattle. The hills here are a bit greener though.

Chicken Noodle Casserole for dogs?

Many years ago (circa 1974) I was heading north on I-5. Somewhere after the 14 interchange I swear I saw an official green road milage sign that included "Seattle 1000". Do you recall ever seeing that, or is my long term memory starting to blur?

 
At 6/07/2007 09:34:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm afraid to give the dogs dog food, so I cook for them when I can't get patient leftovers. Usually they get chicken, rice and vegetable casserole, but for a change, they got noodles.

If there is a Seattle sign, it's not near my house. The first Bishop sign is at my offramp. Does that count for anything?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home