web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

The Vehicle Immobilizer System

We wanted to rent a movie, so we got in my car and the engine wouldn't start. It wasn't the battery and I had a half tank of gas. We took my boyfriend's car instead.

I do have another car, so it wasn't going to interfere with my ability to get around, but still, I was upset. My car had been in the shop for routine maintenance exactly one week earlier and I was wondering what they had done to my car. It seemed like too much of a coincidence that the only time I've ever had a problem with the car was after I allowed someone to look around under the hood.

And what if the problem was something major? What would that cost? And should I even have such a luxury car? Perhaps, I should trade in both cars in for a nice new station wagon. And how was I going to get the car to the dealer? Auto Club will only tow a car so far and I'm pretty sure the dealer is farther then the distance they allow.

Later, I got out the owner's manual with only the slightest of hopes that it would say what to do if the engine wouldn't start. There was a section called NVIS (Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System). I had no idea that cars had such things. The engine will not start if a non-registered NVIS key is put near the ignition. Once that happens, even with the proper key, the engine will not start until the system is cleared.

Earlier, I had accidentally grabbed my boyfriend's keys and started to put the key in the ignition when I realized my mistake. We got a laugh out of it because my key ring has a big pink bunny on it and his doesn't. It turns out that his keys have a vehicle immobilizer system also. His key activated my immobilizer system making it impossible to start the car even with my keys.

Following the directions, I went through the key turning sequence necessary to clear the system. After that, my car started. All of that worry and aggravation for nothing.

The manual also mentioned that the system can be activated by the automated payment device on the key ring. I assume what that means is if you don't make your payments, they can keep you from starting your car. My car is paid for, so I don't have to worry about that, but isn't that amazing? That sounds like a great idea, but their idea to keep people from starting their cars because a foreign key got near the ignition switch seems stupid to me. What is that supposed to accomplish except for aggravation?


~ Home

1 Comments:

At 6/15/2007 08:00:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I pointed my car key at my front door and pressed the button to open it. I did this twice... and at the same time wondering why my car was locking and unlocking... which pissed me off!!!... I realized what I was doing a few moments later... I was alone thank GOD!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home