web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Item

I needed to buy an embarrassing product. I had to go to the drugstore to get it. Although it was the only thing I needed, I bought a bunch of other stuff, too, so the item would be less noticeable. I wanted to buy different types and brands of what I needed, but that might attract too much attention, so I only bought one.

The only check stand open had a man behind the counter, naturally. He scanned all of my purchases without difficulty except for the special item. He kept waving it back and forth and carefully examining it. No matter how many times he waved my item through the air for all to see, it wouldn't scan.

I was expecting him to get on the public address system and ask for a price check or yell to someone across the store to get the price for him. I just looked down and wanted to disappear. Finally, he typed in the numbers on the label and we were done. Why the f*** didn't he do that as soon as it wouldn't scan?

Now I'm starting to understand why people order from drugstores over the Internet.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 6/27/2007 04:07:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

awww... I used to be embarrassed by stuff I bought at the store, especially if there was a male cashier. But now, I figure,what the heck? The stuff is there to buy. As long as you're not come to the register with 12 different brands of the same thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

 
At 6/27/2007 07:43:00 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

My local drugstore hires hot young football players (personnel certainly has a type). They haven't learned any tact, and forever comment on anything and everything you buy.

I'm instantly turned back into a stuttering 16 year old.

 
At 6/27/2007 10:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shall we start guessing? Only available at a drug store? So it can't be condoms, personal lubricant, yeast infection tx, vaginal dryness cream.....any other thoughts? If I need any of these products (which are available at Wal-Mart) I use the self check out line!

 
At 6/27/2007 11:35:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

lol... about a million years ago when I got married for the first time, my new husband and I went to the drug store to buy K-Y Jelly....

Same thing happened but back then they couldn't just tap in the numbers...they had to do a price check....over the loud speaker

"I need a price for K dash Y lubercating jelly... " this was repeated twice... but it felt like 10... I wanted to die.

 
At 6/28/2007 09:45:00 AM, Blogger Marc said...

I see.

Now... Miss Melissa, When you say he was "waving it back and forth", was he waving it back and forth like he just didn't care?

 
At 6/29/2007 12:45:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, for now on I'm buying what I need off the Internet. That way I can buy several different brands and not worry about how it looks.

Antonia, I hate it, too, when checkers comment on my purchases. At least this guy didn't say anything. He just kept glancing at me.

Il nurse, I could have gotten what I needed at the grocery store, but they know me there. I wanted to go someplace with strangers. The only store I know of with self check-out is Home Depot and they don't sell what I need.

Madwag, that is awful. What's wrong with people who do that?

Marc, it was more like he cared too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home