web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, June 15, 2007

The Blondie Incident

At work, I was sitting at a desk reading a chart. I was vaguely aware of a patient's husband having a discussion with a nurse, but wasn't paying attention.

The patient's husband suddenly yelled,"It's not funny blondie."

I'm the only blonde. He was talking to me. Astonished, I looked up at his enraged face and said, "What?"

"You heard me blondie."

I stood up, completely clueless what he was talking about. I followed him as he went back in his wife's room. He turned around and hissed, "I know you girls are all out there laughing at us."

I honestly had no idea what he was talking about. I told him so in front of his wife. I repeated that I was just reading a chart and he yelled at me.

The wife said that I had never been her nurse and wasn't involved. The husband began an angry rant about the surgeons and how he wanted to get a couple of them fired. I just listened and then left.

Later, he came out of the room and apologised. I told him that it was okay.

We really hadn't been talking or laughing about them prior to this incident. That all changed after the blondie tirade. We spent the rest of the evening laughing at them. His paranoia brought an illusion to life.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 6/16/2007 02:23:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

Blondes... oy!
They're always to blame.

;)

 
At 6/17/2007 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Ever figure out what he actually thought "you girls" were laughing about?

 
At 6/18/2007 11:43:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

When my daughter was in the hospital (she was a baby w/ many birth defects... and stayed there several times... sometimes several weeks at a time)... got a bit weird and blamed a nurse for stealing my watch and some other things. Later on I found them when I got home. I felt so bad...and that I made such a big deal out of it. Maybe I was releasing some built up stress and steam? I felt so confused and lonely... out of control... helpless for my child, I took it out on the staff.

 
At 6/19/2007 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

beajerry, it sure seems like that sometimes.

Alan, I don't know. They were difficult and demanding, but not funny, until the blondie incident.

Madwag, I'm sorry about all that you went through with your daughter. People often take out their anger and frustration on the nurses. It's in our job description somewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home