web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cries For Help

A patient's call light was on. I walked over and as I got to the doorway, the patient yelled "Help." I hurried in the room, wondering what the emergency was. The patient pointed to a portable DVD player and asked how to turn it on.

It was tempting to grab the DVD player and throw it against the wall. Instead, I just found the play button and showed it to her. In the future if she keeps that nonsense up, her cries for help may not be a priority with the nurses.

Later, in another room, there was a loud crashing sound followed by someone yelling for help. I rushed over, expecting to see a patient on the floor. Instead, it was just a food tray that fell off a table and crashed on the floor. The person yelling for help was in another room. He was saying "Help, help, a pill fell."

He was a little hard of hearing and thought that the crashing sound was a pill falling to the floor. Even if a food tray hitting the floor sounded like a falling pill to him, why call for help? No, he wasn't confused.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 6/20/2007 06:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminded me of the time that we were all charting silently at the nurse's station at about 03:00.

Out of the silence we hear a lady start yelling, "HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!" At the top of her lungs. We all RUN to her room to find her standing in her doorway.

"What? What is it?" We gasped!

"Oh, I think I'm ready for another Tylenol 3"

She was a completely independent patient who could have easily just walked to the nurse's station.

She certainly got a lecture that night about what constitutes an emergency!!!

 
At 6/20/2007 05:06:00 PM, Blogger gemmak said...

Eeekkk....I don't know how you keep your patience!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home