web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Water Heater Scam Artist

The water heater repair guy showed up early, so I had to deal with him while wearing nothing but a bathrobe. I was sleepy and disheveled, but not as stupid as he hoped.

I explained that the pilot light went out because it got hit with the hose and I needed him to light it for me. He looked at the tank and said he thought there was a leak because it was damp inside and would probably need replacing. Patiently, I explained again that the hose got it.

He said that there was rust. I said that this wasn't the first time it's been hosed off. The rust was probably from prior occasions.

I told him that the heater is only a couple of years old and was bone dry before I hosed out the garage.

He then changed tactics. He tried to light it without success and said that some part needed replacing and that because the heater wasn't up to code, he would have to fix that too.

He called the main office for an estimate. How bizarre is that? I've dealt with plenty of repair people and they have never had any trouble giving an estimate on the spot. I suspect he called to say that the customer was a half-naked, ditsy looking blonde and how much did they think he could soak me for.

The estimate was well over three hundred dollars. I said that was too much and that I found it hard to believe that Home Depot, who installed the heater, wouldn't install it to meet code. He told the person on the line what I said and they told him to just collect the service fee and leave. I said fine and went to get my checkbook.

While I was writing the check, the technician lit the pilot light and said, "Don't tell them I did this." Before he left, he repeated three more times how important it was that I not tell his employer that he lit the pilot light. I promised not to tell them. I didn't promise not to tell the rest of the world, though.

I suspected it was a scam, but I wasn't sure until he lit the pilot light. The only problem with the heater was what I knew all along. Water put the fire out and it just needed to be re-lit. Too bad I wasn't coordinated and brave enough to do it myself.

At least I have hot water now. It's not easy being a half-naked, ditsy looking blonde. People think that they can take advantage of you.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 6/30/2007 10:10:00 AM, Blogger Marc said...

"It's not easy being a [] ditsy looking blonde"

Really? Well come on, how would you know???

 
At 6/30/2007 04:45:00 PM, Blogger Mahala said...

It's sort of pathetic that the repairman was afraid of getting caught doing something honest by his employer.

 
At 6/30/2007 06:40:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I think you should make an anonymous call to the BBB. How many people will they try to rip off?

 
At 6/30/2007 07:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the gas company provided the service of lighting pilot lights for a nominal fee?

 
At 7/01/2007 10:26:00 PM, Blogger may said...

at least it happened when it is quite tolerable to have a cold shower:) man, it IS hot.

 
At 7/02/2007 10:45:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Marc.

Mahala, I'm hoping that he can find another job elsewhere.

Lisa, I'm thinking about writing a letter.

Connie, I'll remember that for next time. I thought that they only looked for leaks.

May, that's true. The cold showers were painful, but also refreshing in this heat.

 
At 4/26/2009 10:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really are an idiot.

You were dumb enough to pay someone to light your water heater. -- No wonder they tried to sell you as new one!

If the water heater is only a few years old, then you could have found a manual on the internet and, in any event, most heaters sold by Home Depot have the same lighting/starting procedures.

You could have gone to Home Depot and asked them hot to re-light one.

 
At 6/17/2009 02:05:00 PM, Anonymous Christine Emmick said...

Dear Anonymous, before you call someone else and idiot you might want to check the spelling on your post. Just a suggestion there skippy.

As for Melissa, I've had a few male tenants that did not know what end of a screwdriver to hold on to, and they'd call me when the pilot on their furnace went out.

You should not be ashamed one bit for wanting a professional to light a gas appliance capable of burning your house to the ground.

 
At 5/18/2011 04:29:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u...

Gas Heater Repairs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home