web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Mystery Screws

The floor was almost finished when I decided to pull up large sections of it and start over. The planks weren't quite straight, the seams were opening up and it was becoming a mess.

I should hire someone to do the floor for me, but I'm not ready to concede defeat. I am going to figure out a way to get the boards straight if it's the last thing I ever do. I'm going to try using a chalk line and perhaps temporarily screwing a few key boards down so that they don't shift as they're hammered in place.

The floor is becoming an obsession. I have no life anymore. All I think about is the floor.

Still on the topic of the floor, a mysterious thing happened. When I put down the previous floor (which went in just fine, thank you very much) I glued all of the thresholds down. When I removed them for this project, one of the thresholds wouldn't budge. Upon investigation, I discovered big screws going through the threshold, the flooring and concrete slab. They were huge screws and they were stripped. With a crow bar I was able to remove some, the rest got pounded into the concrete.

The problem is that I did not screw any part of the floor down, so, who did this and why? Did a burglar break into the house and decide to secure the threshold better?

Later, I remembered that I had the door replaced. The door installers must have done the screwing. The story was more fun when it was still a mystery.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 7/27/2007 09:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is a "floating floor" you shouldn't screw any boards down! The wood will naturally expand and contract as a reaction to humidity and temperature. If you nail or screw a few boards down it will prevent those boards from moving with the others as they naturally expand and contract. This will lead to gaps and problems with your seams! It may be time to call in the pros.

 
At 7/27/2007 10:55:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

It would only be temporary screws. As soon as the floor is done, I would remove them. I'm not giving up, yet. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home