web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Special Treatment

I hate meetings. It goes beyond being a waste of time, they simply suck the life force out of me.

No one has meetings when all is going well. Meetings are called when something is wrong and the misery needs to be shared.

For several years, I was able to avoid meetings because they were on my day off. That was a valid excuse for skipping a meeting. But, we have a new manager and she changed the meeting schedule. They are all on my days to work. I dealt with that problem by scheduling my vacations and extra days off for meeting times, but I can only get so many days off and it finally happened that I got stuck with having to attend a meeting.

There are so many things to hate about the meetings, but the worst part has to be where we are shown the complaints that patients have made about us. They hate us, they really do. They hate the dirty, small, hot crowded rooms and the cold, inedible food. They hate that the nurses and doctors are so rushed. The English speaking patients hate it that they can't understand the foreign nurses. The Spanish speaking patients hate it that the nurses and doctors don't speak Spanish. (We have translators, but that's not good enough. They want us to speak Spanish. I'm kind of thinking that maybe after 20 or 30 years in this country, they should learn some English.)

The meeting dragged on for an eternity. The grand finale was the news that a major bigwig in the hospital is soon going to be a patient in my unit. Oh joy. She is expecting that we will buy her special sheets and fill her room with flowers because that is what another unit did the last time she was a patient there.

That strikes me as just being wrong. Of course we should do our best to take good care of her, but since she is partly responsible for running the hospital and our budget, perhaps this would be the perfect opportunity to see what it is really like to be a patient in our hospital. Maybe if she discovers just how bad the food is and what a run-down dump this place is, she might be motivated to do something. Maybe then, we might get fewer negative patient reviews.

So, what do you think? Should she get the V.I.P. treatment or be treated like every other patient?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 8/02/2007 05:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think any one should get preferential treatment over others just because they are in senior management. The only concession our local hospital makes is that any employee hospitalized gets a private room. Actually, when ever senior management needs hospitalization, they go to another hospital! What's that tell ya'?

 
At 8/02/2007 10:33:00 AM, Blogger may said...

could she be less obvious? isn't is supposed to be other people's job to say a certain person is VIP, instead of the person herself?

 
At 8/02/2007 05:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every other patient!
Every other patient!

 
At 8/02/2007 06:18:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I choose the same as the others. Let her experience real life in the hospital.

 
At 8/02/2007 09:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, they should get the same care everyone else gets.

 
At 8/03/2007 04:41:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Yeah, she should have the same fun as everyone else.

 
At 8/04/2007 11:47:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

I hate meetings too... I don't go if they aren't paid.... if the memo says that we are required to go to a meeting ... it is paid... if we are 'invited to attend' a meeting... we don't get paid.

I wouldn't give her special treatment...that is just wrong.

 
At 8/09/2007 01:45:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Nurse Stella, that is so funny. Sometimes to protect their privacy, our employees will go to our sister hospitals for treatment.

May, she just wants special treatment and she doesn't care how she gets it.

Anon, I agree. Too bad she doesn't.

Alan, people who don't like her have volunteered to start her IVs and do it in at least 5 sticks.

Madwag, all of our meetings are mandatory and paid. There just isn't enough money to compensate me for the pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home