web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, August 10, 2007

The Biopsy Results

Kelsey has skin cancer. The margins are clear, but because the tumor is on top of the head, there wasn't enough skin to remove the recommended amount of borders. He has mast cell tumor which is a very aggressive type of cancer. It can metastasize, so his prognosis is unpredictable.

I don't know what I'm going to do. There are a number of treatments. It just depends on how aggressive I want to be and how much I am willing to put Kelsey through.

It is times like this that I wish I didn't have dogs. Dogs bring so much joy and so much pain.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 8/11/2007 02:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our black lab had a large (by the time we found it) mast cell tumor on his side. We opted not to do chemo but had the vet take as much of it out as possible. The vet then prescribed: Benadryl for the mast-cell overproduction, Prednisone, and Tagamet for the upset stomach the Prednisone could cause. About a year later we had another surgery to remove more tumor.....and he lived about 2 more years after that! He was 8 when he was diagnosed. We felt that he lived a happy, relativly pain-free time w/ us after the dx.

The decisions are hard, but life with our dopey dogs are so worth it!!! Take care.

 
At 8/11/2007 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Surgeon In My Dreams said...

I am so sorry Melissa. I lost my "pound puppy" at the age of 9 last year to mast cell cancer.

Love the silly boy and you'll know in your heart what to do and when.

 
At 8/12/2007 11:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has been a rough year for the dogs. I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts.

 
At 8/12/2007 08:48:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, that is encouraging. Thanks.

Surgeon, losing a dog is like losing a child. It's nice to know that other people understand that.

Connie, thanks. Last year was a nightmare. I was hoping that I would have more time before having to go through that again.

 
At 8/13/2007 07:09:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Gosh darn it. :(

 
At 8/13/2007 11:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very, very sorry to hear about Kelsey. *hug* (for both of you)

 
At 8/14/2007 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Lisa and Karen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home