web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

That Time Of Year

I hate it when this happens. I went outside to feed the fish and the air was thick with smoke. I walked around sniffing the air, but couldn't see anything. It's after midnight, so it's a little hard to see things like plumes of smoke. It's possible that someone is burning wood in their fireplace, but given that it's 90 degrees outside, I kind of doubt it. It has to be a brush fire.

I'm thinking about the damn pine tree that's growing across my roof. I've been meaning to cut it back, but it hasn't seemed like a priority. If an ember hit that tree, my house wouldn't stand a chance. But with all of the trellises and other stuff capable of acting like fire ladders, there is no shortage of other ways that my house could catch fire.

I'm tired and want to go to bed, but wonder if I should stay up just in case. I really hate fire season.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 9/04/2007 06:55:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

We've been lucky so far this year.

 
At 9/04/2007 11:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate this time of year, too. Its dry and windy and somebody throws a cigarette out of their window. One year when we lived in Simi Valley before we replaced our wooden roof, the fire came to within a half block of our house. We had to water down the roof. Scary.

Up here in Oregon, the trees are called "fuel" and in springtime everybody is supposed to cut down the trees in their yard if the trees are too close to each other. The branches are not supposed to touch another tree and the tree should not be so tall that is can fall on your house or a neighbor's house if there is a fire. This is called "fuel reduction." Every summer is fire season, and the fires don't go out completely until it snows.
So far, we have been lucky and no fires have come close to our house, but it is always a constant concern in the summer.
It is very disconcerting to smell that somke,isn't it?

 
At 9/04/2007 05:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you call and report the smoke? I hope everything is well.

 
At 9/05/2007 12:34:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I wouldn't be able to sleep...

 
At 9/05/2007 06:00:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Mahala, it's so green where you live, it doesn't seem like fire would be a problem.

Connie, those rules make it almost impossible to have trees in your yard. Judging from your surveillance photos, it looks like I'm not the only one with unsafe amounts of fuel in the yard.

Il nurse, no, it didn't occur to me to call anyone. The fire dept. seems to be psychic. They just know when there is a brush fire.

Madwag, I slept in my clothes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home