web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Pricey Hospital Gowns

A nurse from another unit came over asking to borrow a paper gown. Her patient had been discharged and had no clothes. "They" don't like us to send patients home in cloth gowns because of the expense, so we're expected to use paper gowns. The problem was, none of the units had paper gowns.

I suggested that she just send the patient home in a cloth gown. That upset her, so I assured her that we do it all of the time. I explained if "they" want us to send patients home in paper gowns, then "they" should make sure that we have them.

We can't send patients home naked. We could just wrap them in a sheet like they're going to a toga party, but that would cost more than a gown.

The nurse was still quite upset. Finally, she said, "But the gowns costs sixty dollars."

I couldn't help but laugh. The gowns cost about six dollars. I've seen wedding dresses for less than sixty bucks. How she could think a backless, cheaply constructed hospital gown could cost that kind of money is pretty funny.

The patient went home in a cloth gown. Although, to be honest, all of my patients without clothes go home in cloth gowns. I don't think it's nice to send people out the door in just a piece of paper.




I needed a little retail therapy today, so I went to a couple of my favorite stores. I tried, I really did, but I couldn't find a single thing to buy. There was lots of stuff for sale, but nothing interested me.

I need to do retail therapy with Sarah. When we would shop together, we practically cleaned out the stores and couldn't fit all of the stuff in our cars.

Since Sarah moved away, I'm not having as much fun shopping, but I'm saving a lot more money. Or, at least I was before Kelsey got sick.

Lacking anything better to do, I tried on fancy party dresses. I have no occasion to wear dresses like that, but I thought it would be fun. It wasn't, the lighting was too harsh and my appearance depressed me. When are stores going to get smart and put flattering lighting in their dressing rooms? They would sell so much more that way.

Anyway, none of the gowns, not even the beaded or full taffeta dresses cost more than fifty dollars. I wonder if it has ever occurred to that nurse who thinks hospital gowns cost sixty dollars if the hospital might save money by dressing the patients in formal evening wear?


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 8/31/2007 09:52:00 PM, Blogger j.elliot said...

one starving musician was just here to say: nice blog.

OSPW

 
At 9/01/2007 10:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having a blonde moment - why would a patient not have clothing to go home in? Did their clothing need to be cut off, or did they arrive naked?

 
At 9/01/2007 05:12:00 PM, Blogger may said...

connie: sometimes cut off; sometimes the clothes they were wearing upon admission are filthy beyond words; sometimes, their clothes are taken by their family members home; sometimes, they don't know they will be sent home that day. i don't think it's a blonde moment, it's a good curious question :)

as for the nurse who thought the gown costs 60 bucks...what can i say? maybe 60 pesos ($1.20), but definitely not dollars :)

sorry melissa, i answered connie's question. nothing reasonable, i just can't help it.

 
At 9/01/2007 07:55:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I am dying up here with all these yee ha stores, great if you like denim, sucks if you like diamonds. Lets meet at the Camarillo outlets!

 
At 9/01/2007 08:31:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

One song, thanks for visiting and good luck with your career.

Connie, May did a good job answering the question.

Thanks, May. I would actually be surprised if the gowns cost even six dollars. Sixty pesos is more like it.

Sarah, we do need to do some serious shopping. I'm game if you are.

 
At 9/02/2007 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

lol... I wonder how that would go over then? Good idea anyway... I'm liking it already.

 
At 9/03/2007 08:57:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, it would be kind of fun dressing the patients up and buying fancy gowns for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home