web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Painful Plums

Is it wrong to take your dog's medication? What if the dog doesn't need it, but you do?


What happened is that I bought a container of plums. Despite sitting out for a week on the counter, they were still hard as rocks. I decided to cook them to make them edible. It worked out fine. Stewed plums are yummy.


The problem was that an hour or two after eating some, I had a bad tummy ache. Apparently, unripe plums, even when cooked, are toxic, although tasty. As the plums worked their way through my digestive tract, the symptoms kept getting worse and even the dogs were starting to look at me funny. I think they were scared.


Once it was over, I had a rash in a private part. Hydrocortisone cream look care of it. Then I developed an infection in another private part. I needed an antibiotic, so I made an appointment with the doctor. Being the idiot I am, I got the dates confused and missed my appointment. I'm able to keep track of all of Kelsey's doctor appointments, but apparently lack enough brain cells to keep track of mine too.


At Kelsey's doctor appointment, the vet gave me a large bottle of the antibiotic flagyl to give to Kelsey if he developed any lower GI problems. What a coincidence. That was exactly what I needed. Kelsey is doing fine, so I'm taking his meds. There is probably some law against doing that, but it makes perfect sense to me. I just hope that doggie flagyl is the same as human flagyl.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 9/16/2007 09:26:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

It's probably the same thing and a whole lot cheaper lol.

 
At 9/16/2007 10:47:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Chemically it should be the same. Don't know if the inert fillers are different. Fortunately you have nurse in the house to figure out the proper dose.

 
At 9/16/2007 07:27:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

You'll know if you start craving rawhide.

 
At 9/16/2007 08:02:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Mahala, it would have been cheaper to get it from the doctor. I only have a five dollar co-pay, but at least I was saved a trip.

Alan, strangely enough, Kelsey's dose is the same as the human dose and I'm twice as big.

Lisa, uh oh. I think I'm in big trouble now.

 
At 9/17/2007 12:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't medication supposed to be taken based on how much you weigh? Do you weigh the same as your dog? I just hope it doesn't come back to "bite" you :)

 
At 9/18/2007 01:20:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Hope you are feeling better. I'm sure it will be fine.... let us know.
xxxx

 
At 9/20/2007 01:22:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, I'm twice as big as Kelsey, but the dose is the same. I don't know why that is.

Madwag, I'm fine now, thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home