web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Lucky Duffy



I've been nagging my parents for some time to get a new dog. Regularly, I go through the Internet listing of dogs in the local shelters and e-mail photos of ones I think they might like. Nothing took.

Sunday, I went to my parent's house for dinner and I asked my mom if she would like to see on the computer what's in the shelter. She agreed. After a few minutes, she grabbed her purse and wanted to go to the shelter immediately. A one year old Dalmatian caught her eye.

My mom had never been in a shelter before and as soon as we got to the first cage, tears started flowing down her cheeks. Every single cage kept the tears flowing. When we got to the Cocker cage, she started sobbing so hard she could barely talk. She grew up with Cockers and one in particular looked just like one she had as a kid.

We asked to adopt it, but were told that the poor pooch required major surgery to remove some kind of mass from inside her inner ear. My poor mom was inconsolable. I offered to pay for the medical care if she wanted that dog, but she refused to accept my offer.

One of the volunteers pointed out another Cocker in the cage. She was a senior dog and although my mom wanted a younger dog, she was so cute and sweet that it was decided to take her. She has a cataract in one eye, but nobody's perfect. Her name is now Duffy.

She follows my mom all through the house and lies down on her feet whenever she sits down. She is such a sweet little girl and my mom enjoys brushing her and getting her fur all poofy. The fur on top of her head matches my mom's hair. I think that is the way things should be. It's not a coincidence that my dogs all have fur that matches my hair. Children should look like their mother.

I'm thinking of getting another dog. I'm not sure if I should get another Golden Retriever or some little poofy frou frou dog. I know that it's illegal to have four dogs, but I want another dog anyway. Call me crazy.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 9/11/2007 09:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, you have made me smile wih a great dog story. Thanks.

 
At 9/11/2007 09:48:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

You could get one of those tiny little pocket pooches, like a chihuahua or something, and hide it in your purse. Do those even count as a real dog? :)

 
At 9/11/2007 04:38:00 PM, Blogger may said...

i won't call you crazy, but i'll call you a REAL dog lover :)

 
At 9/11/2007 06:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, what a sweetheart. I have trouble going to the pet food store because there are always such cute kittens there for adoption.

 
At 9/12/2007 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Karen, I'm glad you like dog stories.

Dave, even though it's illegal to have more than 3 dogs, I figure that 2 small ones should equal one dog and since Tommy is small, I should be allowed to get one more small one, but no chihuahuas. Those aren't dogs.

May, it's closer to being an obscession.

Connie, you only have one cat. You really need a few more.

 
At 9/12/2007 06:07:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

are you serious that it is illeagal to have four dogs??? what a trip!... I think a frou frou dog would be good... I want one too... but I don't think I have the room...lol

 
At 9/12/2007 11:13:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, isn't that a stupid rule? I can have 3 dogs and 3 cats. It only seems fair that I should be allowed to have 6 dogs if I don't want cats.

 
At 9/16/2007 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

There are lots of lovable creatures with cataracts in one eye.

 
At 9/16/2007 08:06:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Or, in both eyes. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home