web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, September 21, 2007

What's-His-Name

This is what's-his-name. Is it okay to put a bow in a boy dog's fur if it's blue? I hope so because I've never had a dog before that looked good in bows. A little bow gets lost on a Golden Retriever.



Kelsey, pictured on the couch below, likes his new little brother. Kelsey isn't the jealous type. Tommy feels a little depressed and does not want to come out of the bedroom. MacKenzie is curious, but territorial about the couch and never-empty food bowl. We had a couple of fights. For being so tiny, what's-his-name does not back down. He's not afraid of alpha dog MacKenzie.



At bedtime, we did just fine with four dogs in the bed. There was a little growling, but it was manageable.


Getting what's-his-name from the vet was the worst part. The animal shelter took him to a vet in Highland Park to be neutered, so that's where I had to go to pick him up, in rush hour. I'm not entirely sure where that was, I just followed freeway directions, but it was off the Pasadena Freeway. That was the worst, antiquated freeway I have ever seen. It has narrow, winding lanes with no emergency shoulder. The only good thing about it is that trucks aren't allowed on it.


But the worst part are the on ramps, or lack thereof. There is a stop sign at the entrance to the freeway. The cars are flying by at 70 miles per hour, coming from around a bend. When you think there is a break in traffic, you step on the gas and hope that no one is just coming around the bend. There is no way to be sure in advance if it is safe to go. I'm surprised that the freeway wasn't lined with the wrecks of cars and bodies.


I'm supposed to go back to that vet to have the stitches removed. It's not going to happen. I'll do it myself or take him to my vet. The surrounding area was interesting to look at, though. There were Victorian and Craftsman houses dating back to the late eighteen and early nineteen hundreds. You don't see that where I live. But I think that the freeway was built when people were still getting around by horse and carriage.

The vet's office was just awful. I would have preferred to have taken him to a nice vet's office and paid a little more, but all shelter dogs go to low-cost, high-volume clinics for their surgery. The place was tiny and filled with people and their dirty, matted mutts on rope leads. The people didn't look any better.

The vet came out and talked to one couple, explaining that he couldn't get their dog to wake up from the anesthesia and was asking to keep the dog overnight, all for no extra charge. I never wanted to get out of someplace faster.

They kept me waiting 25 minutes after the paperwork was done. I was wondering if the vet was going to come out and tell me that he botched my dog's anesthesia as well. Finally, I heard someone in the back calling for me. I followed the voice and saw what's-his-name hugging the floor, refusing to walk. I quickly scooped him up and got the hell out of there.



So, anyway, these are the names that I'm considering for what's-his-name:


Georgie, Fergus, MacDuff, Mischa, Francis, Sasha, Jesse and Tylor. I'm leaning towards Georgie. What do you think?


~ Home

12 Comments:

At 9/21/2007 10:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MacDuff sounds too much like your mom's new dog and the names ending in A sound too girley. I do like Tyler and Georgie. He looks like a great addition to the clan :)

 
At 9/21/2007 02:49:00 PM, Blogger Mahala said...

Oh... I have to go with Fergus, for obvious reasons.

 
At 9/21/2007 04:14:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Can't remember if I've ever driven the 110, but have been on other on-ramps as you described.

How about Fido, Spot, or Rover? I've never actually met a dog with one of those names.

I'd go with George (no i) and toss the bow.

 
At 9/21/2007 04:50:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Is that vet owned by the same company than owns your hospital?

I used to love driving out that way. Nothing like a good challenge. :)

I'm with Mahala. Fergus sounds good to me.

 
At 9/21/2007 07:26:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I like Georgie. Or Simon. Simon is cute.

Love the haircut. :)

 
At 9/22/2007 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, my mom re-named her dog Ginger. I guess that I shouldn't insult his manhood by giving him an effeminate name.

Mahala, I was thinking of you when I came across that name.

Alan, my brother owns a dog named Spot, a Dalmatian. I don't know what freeway planners were thinking when they came up with killer freeway entrances.

How did you know that the Pasadena Freeway is the 110? I didn't even know that until a few days ago.

Dave, it wouldn't surprise me if my employer owned the vet clinic too. We do have much in common.

Today, I'm calling him Fergus. Yesterday, it was Georgie, but it was too much of a temptation to add a Peorgie to his name.

Lisa, the problem with Simon is that I want to add a "simple" to it.

As far as the hair-cut goes, it's a good thing that the shelter used the before picture in its add. :)

 
At 9/22/2007 01:30:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Ginger Baker, the drummer for Cream was a guy. Maybe your mom's a rock and roller.

Not sure how I knew that. Probably the same as knowing the 5 (Golden State), the 101 (Hollywood) and the 405 (San Diego). I mainly drove the 14, but I can't recall the name. Did it have one? Antelope Valley Freeway? Just guessing.

The dog on the right in picture two has a great "smile" and seems like the coolest of the group. (Tommy or Kelsey?)

 
At 9/24/2007 07:26:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Fergus...that sounds nice. I like the bow... I would put bows in my dogs hair if it would stay

 
At 9/24/2007 09:37:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, you're right, the 14 is the Antelope Valley Freeway. The dog with the great smile is Kelsey. He's even prettier in person.

Madwag, the bow won't stay in my dog's fur either. It's just there for the picture.

 
At 9/25/2007 06:32:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Nothing more to add, just wanted to roll the comment counter into double digits.

Nee!

 
At 9/27/2007 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Alan. It's not too often that happens. :)

 
At 9/30/2007 12:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whee...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home