web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, October 05, 2007

The Great Escape


The scariest part of my vacation was picking up the dogs from my parent's house. It was after one a.m., the dogs were loaded in my station wagon and I started driving up the hill. At the top of the hill, I noticed a red warning light on the dashboard. The rear hatch was ajar. I pulled over, got out of the car and discovered to my horror that the door was completely open. I did a quick head count and one dog was missing. MacKenzie was gone.


I closed the door and took off running back down the hill. Trying not to scream, I gently called out her name, not wanting her to think that she was in trouble.


I saw my father driving up the hill, still in his pajamas. I flagged him down and told him what happened. He said that he saw the hatch open as I drove away and that was why he came after me. He slowly kept driving while I ran.


Part way down the hill, I heard toe nails clicking on the pavement. MacKenzie ran by me on the other side of the street. I didn't want to spook her by running, so I just walked and squatted on the ground whenever she turned to look at me. She changed directions and crossed the road several times before I could catch her. I petted her and told her she was a good girl, even though it was a lie.


Walking her back to the car, I passed my father as he drove by and told him that I got her. He drove home after making sure that I got her loaded safely in the car.


On the way home, I was shaking badly and my stomach was starting to hurt. It was almost two a.m. by the time I got home and then I had to spend some serious time in the bathroom. Stress is hard on my digestive system.


I can't figure out why MacKenzie runs from me like that. I've never had a dog before who did that. Tommy and Kelsey were also in the back, but they were hugging the seat in front of them for dear life. MacKenzie may have fallen out by accident and thank goodness that she wasn't injured, but I don't understand the running away part.
At least I don't have to worry about the Cocker escaping. While unpacking my suitcase, I found him in the suitcase. I think that means next time, he wants to go on vacation with me.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 10/06/2007 07:26:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Glad you were able to find MacKenzie and get her home safely. Must have been quite a panicky moment.

Cute picture of the Cocker in the suitcase. So, whatcha reading?

 
At 10/06/2007 03:03:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

If what you're looking at is a girl in a white hula costume, that is a brochure from a luau we went to.

 
At 10/06/2007 06:45:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

You were much calmer than I would have been. Our schnauzer ran off on me one day. I figured she was just going to potty and then come back when I called her name. I chased her half-way up the street and then tackled her.

Who knew a short dog could run so darn fast?

 
At 10/07/2007 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

That is so frustrating. It is almost like they have a death wish.

 
At 10/08/2007 01:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our cat likes to jump into our suitcases before a trip, too. How cute. All of your pictures are sooo beautiful. (Lindsay has really nice blue eyes, btw :) We haven't been to HI yet, but it is on our list of places to go.

 
At 10/08/2007 05:30:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lindsay does have nice blue eyes. :)

Hawaii isn't that expensive. We got a package deal that included air fare, car rental and a one bedroom ocean-front condo that was $1,ooo each for 5 nights. It was worth every penny. Start nagging Dave now. It is so romantic there. :)

 
At 11/19/2009 10:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://firgonbares.net/][img]http://firgonbares.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]discount on microsoft office for, [url=http://firgonbares.net/]why buy photoshop[/url]
[url=http://firgonbares.net/][/url] price tag software oem software license agreement
software no purchase [url=http://firgonbares.net/]cheapest software anywhere coupon[/url] line software store
[url=http://firgonbares.net/]microsoft office 2003 student discount[/url] sell software product
[url=http://firgonbares.net/]shop software to[/url] adobe photoshop cs4 full
9 Retail Price [url=http://firgonbares.net/]macromedia web design software[/b]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home