web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Snorkeling At Molokini

I wasn't too sure that I wanted to do this. Jumping off a boat in the ocean and swimming around for an hour in deep water scared me. I'm a good swimmer, but deep water worries me because who knows what is lurking down below. I also wasn't sure that I could tread water for that long and being cold was also a concern. I hate being cold and wet.



That is me, below, getting ready for my first jump. Don't I look sick?






We went to Molokini, pictured below, for our first swim. It is an atoll, nine miles off the coast of Maui. It would have been another Hawaiian island, but it rose from the sea during an ice age and the weight of the ice pressing down on it kept it small. At least, that is what the captain told us. I never knew that glaciers ever covered Hawaii, even during ice ages. When I get around to it, I'll have to research that.


They let us rent wetsuit tops to help with the cold problem. Of course, I got one. The water was 78 dgrees, which is 8 degrees colder than what is comfortable. The top helped, but it was loose and water poured inside. By the time the hour swim was over, my hands were completely numb and I was shivering. At least floating wasn't a problem. The suit kept me bouyant. They also gave us noodles to hold onto.


Other than that, it was one of the best experiences of my life. The water was about 150 feet deep and crystal clear all the way down to the coral reef bottom. The water under the surface was sapphire blue and brilliantly colored fish swam around us. It was like swimming in an aquarium, not that I've ever had a desire to swim in an aquariam. I won't swim with my koi, but this was fun. The tiny fish didn't scare me and there were no big ones. Under the water, it is a completely different world, almost like visiting another planet. It was so peaceful, quiet and colorful.


This photo, above, was taken after the first swim. Don't I look relieved?





Above, is the second place we went snorkeling. It's a favorite spot for green sea turtles. I saw 6 of them, although, it's possible that I saw the same one six times. It's not like they're wearing name tags to tell them apart.


They were cute, but they didn't look especially green to me. The captain said that they are called green turtles because they are green on the inside. I'm glad that I have no first hand knowledge of that.


I bought a green sea turtle necklace as a souvenir and it is bright green on the outside. Even though not an accurate depiction, it seems better than a grey turtle with green insides.


On the catamaran cruise, which had an ungodly 6 a.m. check in time, we were fed breakfast, snacks and a barbecued lunch. Marine biologists were our lecturers, life guards and chefs. On the trip back, it was all the mai tai's you could drink. The marine biologists were also our bartenders. It's not everyday that scientists in bikinis take care of you.


It was such a great day. Don't we look happy? The photo was taken after my second and Lindsay's third mai tai. We were feeling good.








~ Home

5 Comments:

At 10/08/2007 01:17:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so glad you took a tropical vacation this time. I never want to be cold again, I mean cold for months and months.
You look like you are hadving a good time. Thank God, we had so many challenges in Ireland and with Murphy sick and my surgery pretty fresh and the fall down the staircase, and me driving, medicated on the wrong side of the road, I guess we are lucky we made it back alive! Lindsay seems like a good traveling companion:)
Keep the pics coming!

 
At 10/08/2007 05:10:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

It was fun going to a tropical location, but I enjoyed Ireland despite all of the problems and worries. It was such a beautiful country and I was dressed warmly, so didn't suffer that much from the cold.

Lindsay has a similar philosophy as I do when it comes to vacations. We went to bed early, got up in the dark and crammed as many activities as possible into each day. Sleeping is for at home.

 
At 10/08/2007 07:09:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Mai Tais and Hawaii are a great combination. Lindsay is correct in that three is the recommended dose.

Scientists in bikinis sounds like an excellent idea as well.

We did the Molokini experience as well a few years ago. We had a "harmless" shark in the area, but I never saw it. Annette said she spotted it while I was out in the water, but couldn't get my attention. I did dive down and followed a really cool eel about ten feet below me. It had the moray look with the long dorsal fin, but I really couldn't see well enough to tell for sure.

I totally agree. Sleeping is for home! I am enjoying your travel blog.

 
At 10/09/2007 06:15:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

What a great pic of you two.... looks like you had a really good time.

 
At 10/11/2007 12:10:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, I never saw a fish bigger than 5 inches. I'm glad. I did wonder what the tour people do if a bad shark suddenly appears when everyone is in the water. Do they have guns?

Madwag, it was great. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home