web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Mama's Fish House

On road to Hana day, we had reservations at Mama's Fish House for that evening. It's considered to be Maui's finest restaurant, so we packed some nice clothes to change into after Hana. Going back to the hotel to change wasn't an option because it was at least 45 minutes in the opposite direction.



Hana didn't take as long as we had expected, so we arrived at the restaurant 2 hours early. I wasn't at all sure that I still wanted to go in. We were DIRTY. Our shoes were covered in reddish-brown mud which was splashed all the way up to our knees. We were still damp from the hikes in the rain and Lindsay's hair was frizzy and mine was flat. We looked like refugees and I was still stressed out from the drive.



Lindsay still wanted to at least go look at the place. I wasn't happy. They only had valet parking, so changing in the car wasn't an option. We packed what we needed while the valets waited.



The location was exquisite. It is on a private beach and the walk was lined with flowers and tiki torches. It was a fairly long walk and as we got closer, there were buckets of lotus blossoms. I'm a nut when it comes to fresh flowers and so I was in nut heaven. But still, we were so dirty.



Our reservation was for a table next to the ocean, but it wouldn't be available for another two hours. They offered us another table. While we debated what to do, we sat on a bench outside. An employee from inside, came out and offered us some water. We followed him, but first he wanted to show us something. We walked across a courtyard and he showed us some private dressing rooms. Perhaps, he had over-heard my concern about our appearance.



That was the sign for us to stay. We were able to clean up and change in privacy. Looking and feeling much better, we walked to our table.



The service at the restaurant was first-rate. The food was excellent and the architecture was incredible. It was built to look like a series of umbrellas with occasional colonial touches, such as vintage window frames, but no walls. It was fun trying to find the loading bearing walls, headers and everything else necessary to keep a building from collapsing.



My only complaint was the price. Dinner for two with no alcohol, no appetizers, one shared dessert and only median priced entrees came to one hundred and fifty dollars. The next night, we dined in an equally nice restaurant for half the price.



After dinner, we wandered around the grounds. Sorry about the fuzzy pictures, but it was dark and the exposure time was too long to hold the camera steady. I really need to buy a tripod.









~ Home

3 Comments:

At 10/08/2007 02:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pretty dress. $150.00 for one meal seems like highway robbery to me, but I tend to be really frugal. Oh well, you only go around once, right?

 
At 10/08/2007 05:19:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Connie. I am proud that the dress cost only $8. It helped make up for the expensive dinner. I'm also frugal by nature. I've never spent anywhere near that much on dinner in my life. I wouldn't go back unless someone else was paying the bill.

 
At 10/08/2007 07:12:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

$150 is rather pricy, especially without potent potables.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home