web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, August 20, 2010

The Psychiatrist's House

The house had been on the market for several months, but was out of my price range. After a year of disappointments, my expectations were low, but I monitored the house on the realtor's website just in case it ever came down to my price range.



One day, the price came down to just $25,000 over my budget. That was close enough to schedule an appointment to see the house. We had to wait for a day that both of us had off, which only happens four days a month. We also had to see the house when the doctor wasn't seeing patients. The psychiatrist owner worked out of his home.



The appointment was for late in the day after a long day of house hunting. I was tempted to skip this last house because of fatigue and the long drive to get there, but was reluctant to say anything. We ended up driving there and planned to wait until the agreed upon time.

As we drove around the corner and saw the house for the first time, the feeling I has was more than love at first sight. It was recognition. I knew that was my house.




We saw the house on the first day of Spring. The hillsides were green. Trees were blooming and birds were singing. The weather was perfect. It was simply paradise. The photo above was taken in August, three months after the owners stopped watering. The lawn is brown, but at least it matches the hillsides.

My biggest requirement, and most difficult and expensive to find, was land. I don't want to look out my windows and see into someone else's house or vice versa. I don't want to look out the window and look at a wall. I don't want to know if the neighbor is taking a shower. I need space.

The new house is on nearly two acres of land. That sounded great in theory and perhaps if I didn't have a full time job it would be great in reality, but right now I feel overwhelmed. We live in a high fire danger area and there is four years worth of brush that needs to be removed. I would do it myself, but I don't have time, plus I'm afraid of rattlesnakes.

Only about half an acre of land is fenced. The rest is wild. A creek flows through the unfenced land and native oak trees line the banks. It is very nice to sit on the patio and look down on my oak trees and listen to the creek. The coyotes also like my land. A pack of them live on it. That wasn't mentioned in the sellers disclosure statement. They seem to be afraid of my dogs, so hopefully they will stay out of my fenced yard. But, that also means I can only have big dogs. No more Cockers. *sigh*

The picture above shows my backyard. I own it up to the fence on top of the hill, lined with Italian Cypress trees. A top priority was getting a play pool. Newfoundlands must have water to play in.

I'm sorry that the picture above is sideways. If I knew how to turn it around, I would have done so. But this is the only picture I have of the creek. I could have hiked back down there and taken some upright shots, but I didn't feel like it. I'm still trying to get the stickers and burrs out of my shoes and socks from the last time.
Nailed to one of the oak trees is a no trespassing sign. When I first saw it, I was hesitant to go any further until I realized that the sign now belongs to me. I never thought that I would own property with a no trespassing sign. I will probably remove it, though. I don't mind if people want to visit the creek and coyotes and rattlesnakes can't read.





~ Home

2 Comments:

At 8/23/2010 01:06:00 PM, Blogger SummerAnytime said...

I love the new house! And I didn't know you have a neufoundland! I have followed your blog for quite a while, since I was doing my pre reqs for nursing. Now I'm a critical care nurse and love it. I'm very happy for you, you'll have years to make the land into your own private paradise!

 
At 9/10/2010 12:48:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I actually have two Newfies. I'm part of a blended family now.

Congratulations on your nursing career and most of all, loving it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home