web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Carpet With Cooties


Patients have a tendency to drip, you know, stuff from various body orifices. When they go for walks, various fluids, and sometimes solids, fall on the floor. The problem is, our floor is carpeted. Although swept occasionally, it is rarely shampooed, so the carpet is viewed as scary and evil by nursing staff.

Sometimes visitors bring small children and allow them to crawl and roll around on the carpet. Of course, we will politely ask them to pick up their kidlets, but it's too late. They're contaminated.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 7/25/2005 01:52:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Now that's just wrong.

We have cats, which exhibit many of the same symptoms as your patients. I find that Resolve spray cleaner is like magic. It really impresses me when something works better than expected. Disclaimer: I don't work for Resolve, and am in no way affiliated with them. I just have cats.

 
At 7/25/2005 04:27:00 PM, Blogger gemmak said...

Lol.....this all sounds very familiar, PG regularly regales me with similar pleasent tales!

 
At 7/25/2005 04:56:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Ugh, I am such a germ phobe. I think I'm gonna hurl.

 
At 7/26/2005 12:30:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I like Resolve too, but I don't know how well it kills nasty organisms. But then, it probably works better than nothing, which is what we're doing now.

I'm a germ phobe also, but with total immersion in this stuff, I've lost a lot, but not all of my fear.

 
At 7/26/2005 11:02:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Personally, I like germs, as long as I'm healthy. I figure the more I get exposed to, the better my immune system will be at fighting them. If I lived in a bubble, I'd be unarmed against those intrepid little beasties that made it inside.

 
At 7/26/2005 03:59:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

You have a good point, Dave. It's suspected that too clean of an environment may be a factor in some auto-immune diseases and allergies. Without real germs to attack, the immune system becomes hypersensitive and attacks friendly protein instead.

But it's also kind of scary that there are so many infections for which there is no cure. It's suspected that the majority of nurses are infected with MRSA (methicillin resistant bacteria). As long as we're healthy our immune systems can handle it. Someday when we're old, it may then overwhelm our immune systems. In the meantime, we are probably carriers. Anybody want a kiss? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home