web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Baby


My friend Sarah's much beloved Golden Retriever, Baby, passed away yesterday. (Baby is pictured at the far right.) Baby started her life as breeding stock at a puppy mill. After an infection left her infertile, her owner no longer wanted her. Sarah rescued Baby and gave her a life that most humans would envy.

Sarah's life revolves around her dogs and Baby, I imagine, couldn't believe her good fortune to be adopted by such an angel as Sarah. Baby slept in Sarah's bed, lounged on the couch, was fed home cooked chicken, and was petted, massaged, hugged, kissed and sweet talked with complete adoration.

Baby was only 8 years old and was diagnosed with advanced, untreatable cancer. She was put down to end her suffering. Sarah is heartbroken, as am I. Baby will be greatly missed.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 7/21/2005 07:58:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I'm sorry for this loss. It is a sad thing.

 
At 7/21/2005 11:40:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, it is sad. There is one ray of sunshine here, though. It's just a matter of time before another lucky dog is rescued by Sarah.

 
At 7/24/2005 01:02:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Lisa. She was as sweet as she was beautiful and incredibly lucky to have been adopted by Sarah.

 
At 8/27/2005 06:35:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

It has taken me a long time to be able to respond to this one because of my grief. Baby was an angel, absolutely perfect in every way. She was sweet, loving, playful, mischevious, she had a great appetite and never passed an opportunity to steal a bite of something yummy. She came to me as a rescue and had been hit, so she cowered in the corner for a long time. It took a couple of years for her to fully develop her personality and learn to trust again. She did learn to trust her friends and family but never strangers. She was the most protective ferocious guard dog I've ever seen, and I'm sure she would have killed someone to protect me. She gave me joy and unconditional love. I think about her throughout the day and I still cry almost every day. She taught me how precious the moments we have with our loved ones are, whether they are dogs, cats, people. I hope I never forget those things. She loved her friend Melissa very much. When I told her she was going to visit, she would jump and spin and squeal with happiness! That's how I remember her, filled with joy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home