web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Flasher Stories

Gemmak recently posted a story about her unfortunate experience with a flasher. That reminded me of some of my flasher stories.

If I walk into a female patient's room and she is sprawled naked on top of the bed, then I know that she is confused. Perhaps it is a reaction to the narcotics or maybe she was confused to begin with. But, I know that there is a problem because alert and oriented women almost never flash.

If I walk into a man's room and he is sprawled naked on top of the bed, it doesn't mean anything. He might be confused or just a pig. It can go either way.

We once had a prominent doctor as a patient in our unit. Having always been a perfect gentleman, we were disgusted when he began using his call light every few minutes because every time someone went in there, he was lying on top of the covers with his legs spread open. We figured that he was a pervert and just wanted to make sure that everyone saw him naked.

Later when he began talking nonsense, we realized that we had misjudged him and he was having a drug reaction. Although we behaved professionally, we did have evil thoughts. I try not to be so quick to judge anymore.

One last story involved a young, married man who needed to be taken for a walk. As soon as I got him stood up, he took his gown off and dropped it on the floor. I asked him what he was doing and he said that he didn't want to wear the gown on his walk. I told him that he couldn't go naked and he got angry. He said that we all knew what he looked like and there was no reason to cover up. I explained that we would be walking through public corridors and it wasn't okay to be naked. Annoyed, he let me put a gown on him. Other than being a disgusting pig, there was nothing wrong with him. I wish, sometimes that we were allowed to say what we really think to the patients.

There aren't any pictures in this post for obvious reasons. :)


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 7/19/2005 04:37:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I'm happy to report I have no (unwanted) flasher stories to share.

Now watch, I'll jinx myself by typing this. 34 years and I'm going to get flashed now. I can feel it.

And me with such good eyesight.. shoot...

 
At 7/19/2005 07:34:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Haven't had any myself. But I have to admit after (nearly) 11 years of marriage, some pictures would have been nice ;)

 
At 7/20/2005 12:10:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I sure wish that I didn't know what it's like to be flashed. The worst part is, they NEVER have nice bodies. Not a pretty sight at all.

 
At 7/23/2005 03:32:00 PM, Blogger gemmak said...

Good god....and I thought the one indicent was bad! lol

 
At 7/24/2005 01:17:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gemmak, your incident was actually much worse because it was by a neighbor. In the hospital I'm surrounded by people who can help me if I scream and as far as I know, the patients don't know where I live.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home