web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Bean Field in Oxnard and a Goat


What a totally, miserable day this has been. I go back to work tomorrow and I wanted to spend my last day away from that Hell hole body surfing in Malibu with my dear friend Lindsay. Being over 100 degrees at my house, the beach, I figured would be the perfect temperature. Was I ever wrong!

Malibu was completely socked in by a dense fog bank and COLD. People were wearing their towels instead of lying on them. Even with my wet suit, there was no way I was putting even my toe in that frigid water. Lindsay, knowing my low tolerance for cold, suggested that we just go for a drive instead. Sullenly, I agreed. That man is a Saint. How he puts up with me, I'll never know.

So, that's how I found myself being driven up and down the streets of Oxnard and Port Hueneme on my last day off. I just wanted to scream. We drove past miles of plastic covered strawberry fields and substandard housing. We went to the Fisherman's wharf in Hueneme and tried to walk around, but I was too cold to do anything but buy donuts and hot tea.

We stopped at every produce stand we saw and bought cauliflower, corn and tiny yams. (yipee) It was at one produce stand that I took the picture of the bean field and goat, pictured above. I had planned on taking pictures of Malibu and this is what I got instead. So, instead of me in a bikini, you're getting pictures of a goat. (That may not be a bad thing.)


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 7/18/2005 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Mary said...

LOL at the bikini comment.
I have relatives in Ventura, so I've seen those shots many times on our drive! Mmm, the eats at the produce stands are so yummy.

 
At 7/18/2005 12:54:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Mary. I am enjoying the produce. I had corn last night for dinner and corn for breakfast today, with mulberries for dessert.
(Will the mulberries ever stop?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home