web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Get a Good Grip

Tonight I needed to assist a young disabled man to pee. We have plastic bottles called urinals for male patients. Because he was unable to use his hands, I put his penis in the urinal. Unfortunately, I did not have a good grip and his penis flew out of the urinal spraying a stream of urine through the air and all over my arm. That led to bed change number 1.

Next, another patient missed the urinal. That was bed change number 2.

Then, a patient with diarrhea overflowed the bedpan. Bed change number 3.

Last, but not least, a patient vomited all over the sheets. Bed change number 4.

Have I mentioned that I'm an R.N.? Why don't we have have nurse's aides to help us?


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 7/26/2005 07:24:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Because CNA's get paid $6 per hour, and there is a lot of turnover and little reliability in the field--at least according to my mom who worked in several nursing homes in Florida. It sounds terrible, where you work.

 
At 7/26/2005 10:16:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

From what I hear, we're one of the least of the evils. I've never worked any place else, so I don't really know.

What bugs me is that management won't hire any new aides. They don't think that we need them. It's been way too long since management has worked as nurses.

 
At 7/26/2005 10:40:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Adventures in Scrappyland seems somehow related to this. :)

 
At 7/26/2005 03:36:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Dave. I felt like I was reading some of my own notes of past adventures in nursing. I didn't have a term for it, but I'm familiar with the Scrappys.

On the subject of tatoos, one of my coworkers once saw an interesting one on a patient. She had a tatoo of a snake that wound up her leg with its head going into her vagina. How sexy is that? (Excuse me while I puke.)

 
At 7/26/2005 05:56:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Did the tattoo end at the door, or actually cross the threshold?

 
At 7/26/2005 08:06:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

We'll never know. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home