web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Put my Pants Back on

It was another quiet night. I had two patients. One, who has serious injuries, was no trouble at all. The other patient with a minor injury, took up all of my time. My guess is that while growing up, he must have had a doting mother who treated him like he was the center of the universe. He was pleasant enough, but so needy. No one should have that many requests and questions. Every time I started backing towards the door he would start with the "Oh, and...", followed by another request. If my shift had lasted one hour longer, he would be dead right now and I would be in jail.

There was an amusing conversation between another patient and his nurse. He yelled, "Put my pants back on." The nurse replied in a normal speaking voice,"You don't have any pants." The patient yelled again, "Put my pants back on." This time the nurse yelled back, You don't have any pants." This time the patient answered, "Oh, okay." The nurse forgot that he was hard of hearing. And now, everyone else on our floor knows that he doesn't have any pants.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 8/08/2005 07:31:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I find myself saying things loudly to the girls when I call them. A lot of it is stuff like "Hair isn't food" and hearing other things shouted back like "I need help wiping right".

 
At 8/08/2005 11:14:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lol. I have had the same conversations with my patients. :)

 
At 8/08/2005 05:23:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

When Debbie was much younger, she had trouble knowing how loud to speak. I don't know how many times I had to say, "Use your inside voice." But whenever I did, she would. At least for a while. :)

 
At 8/09/2005 12:10:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm still never sure how loud to speak. Since I'm always being asked to repeat myself, I guess it's not loud enough. Either that or I talk too fast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home