web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

In The Dark


Electricity is just about the greatest thing there is. Last night, when the lights went out I had a lot of time to contemplate this.

I lit 10 candles, but it was still way too dark for my taste. Lit up like a grocery store is more to my liking.

There wasn't much to do. It was too dark to read and of course, the computer, TV and stereo were useless. I just sat in semi-darkness listening to the clock tick.

I don't know how people used to be able to stand not having electricity. Of course, they didn't know what they were missing, but still, the evenings must have felt like they dragged on forever.

After about an hour, I decided that I'd had enough and went to bed even though I wasn't sleepy. I took a pill to knock myself out and 10 minutes later, the lights went back on. I jumped out of bed and rushed to the computer to work before the pill took effect, but it was too late. By the time I got the computer powered up, I had turned into a zombie and had to go back to bed. So, that was my evening.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 9/17/2005 05:20:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Seeing as how you live in earthquake country, a battery-powered radio would be a good thing to have, and a battery-powered TV even better. Oh yeah, and a book-light. :)

 
At 9/18/2005 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

There's such a thing as battery powered TVs? I thought that I was doing well to just own a flashlight. Maybe some day I could save up and buy a radio and book-light. Food and survival gear I have, I hadn't thought about entertainment. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home