web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

At Least I Got A New Bucket


I don't know why I said that I would go. I didn't want to go, and yet, what did I say when asked? I said, yes, I would love to go. My fate was sealed. I had to go to a coworker's baby christening.

I had to set my alarm and get up early. I put on a nice dress, which required shaving my legs. I had to endure a drive into a grimy section of the valley. It wasn't easy finding the church or the correct parking lot, but eventually I got there with 5 minutes to spare. Then, I couldn't find the entrance. I walked around the entire building trying every door, and there were many, but every door was locked. I just stood on the sidewalk next to a busy street and waited. People started arriving and did the same door checking routine.

It was overcast and cold in the valley, unlike at my house, so I was freezing in my little sleeveless dress and sandals. I just stood there and waited, becoming angrier by the minute. Finally, someone made a phone call and found my coworker at home. It turned out that the church had changed the time to an hour later. So, why wasn't anyone notified of the time change?

I run on time and expect others to do so too. It strikes me as rude to keep people waiting. When kept waiting, it feels to me like the other person is saying that my time is not valuable. (I'm not talking about those unforeseen events that sometimes happen and cause lateness.) So, after shivering in the cold for 20 minutes, I left.

On the way home, I stopped at a store to buy what I needed to fix my PVC pipe and some fish food. The fish food came in a big yellow bucket, so at least I got a new bucket. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, I already have so many, but one can always use a new bucket, right?

That's how bad my morning was. The best thing to come out of it was a new bucket, that smells like fish. Would anyone like a fishy, yellow bucket? It's free.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 10/08/2005 05:51:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

It is rude to keep people waiting. Actually, that is a pet peeve of mine.....lateness. In todays world we have cell phones....no excuse.

 
At 10/09/2005 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I don't fish. To me, fish are pets. :)

 
At 10/09/2005 12:30:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I thought fish were dinner:)

 
At 10/09/2005 06:44:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Fish are dinner only if someone else cuts them up into fillets. You remember that big fish that I cut in two and we each took half? It's still in my freezer. I get the willies remembering the feel of the knife as it cut through the bones and flesh. Psychologically, it's easier to eat a cheese sandwich.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home