web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, October 17, 2005

This Makes Up For A Lot

Last night, I had two apples for dinner. Tonight I had this. It's always feast or famine around here. My tongue hurts from eating so much candy. But what choice do I have? It disappears so quickly that I have to eat it while it's still there.

A nurse was giving report on a patient with a minor injury and she mentioned that the patient wanted to die. I must have looked shocked because she quickly added that he was okay now, he had a large BM. Huh? Is that all it takes to get back the will to live? I was thinking that we needed to get a psyche consult. Silly me. Going to the bathroom solved all of his problems.

Tonight an elderly patient kept chanting Mama. After a couple of hours of that we decided that we had had enough. We began flipping through manuals to try and figure out the fastest way we could deliver a dose of haldol without violating our policies. A supervisor wandered by and I mentioned that we were not going to listen to that all night. She laughed and said,"So, you're going to drug her?" I said, "exactly."She understood. Good old haldol, a nurse's best friend. (Who says that we don't do chemical restraints?)


A patient wanted his blinds closed, but he said that I should go find a big man to help me because in the morning when the blinds were opened, the big male nurse had fought and struggled hard to open them. I wasn't strong enough. I simply smiled, walked over to the blinds and gently pulled on the string. The blinds closed smoothly without effort. Smugly, I left the room. Skill over brute strength won. The big strong man didn't know which string to pull.


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 10:49:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm sure that I do play a major role in the rapid disappearance of goodies, but in my defense, I have a lot of competition. Everyone was walking around with chocolate stuffed cheeks all evening.

I have a mental image of a big strong macho male yanking on all of the cords and breaking into a sweat when all he had to do was look first and figure out which cord to pull. The system of cords here is a little tricky. I love it when brains win over brawn. :)

 
At 10/19/2005 09:17:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

That's it, i am going on the "Melissa" diet.....cream cakes and chocolate Yummmmmmmm

 
At 10/19/2005 11:13:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

And don't forget having only 2 apples for dinner on alternate days. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home