web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

All Lit Up (More or Less)

I'm still not in the mood for Christmas, but it's coming whether I like it or not, so I have to get ready. The presents are all purchased and wrapped, which is a huge load off of me. I didn't feel like putting up lights on my house, but I did anyway. Instead of stringing lights along the eaves, as I've done in the past, I tossed the lights on the shrubs. It was faster, safer and I think the results are good enough. I won't win any decorating awards, but that's okay. I'm just trying to get by this season.

I made the decision to not buy a tree. It's possible that I'll change my mind, but it will save time to skip it. But, I am missing the pine fragrance. The wreaths and other stuff just aren't doing the trick for me.

I'm not doing my traditional baking or candy making. Everyone is so concerned about health and diets, that very little of it gets eaten. I certainly don't want that stuff lying around here tempting me and keeping it in the freezer won't help. I'll eat it frozen.

I'm also coming up on the anniversary of my separation date. Why did I move out on Dec. 21? Couldn't I have waited until after New Years? Not only did that Christmas get screwed up, but every Christmas since then got screwed up too by the bad memories. I need to start making new memories to replace the old ones, but that's easier said than done.

Sorry about my mood. I know I'm not being much fun. I'll try to snap out of it. Maybe a Christmas tree will help along with some home-baked cookies and fudge. We'll see.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 12/14/2005 01:09:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I'm so sorry a sad anniversary is getting you down. On the positive side, you have many friends, and a beautiful home.

 
At 12/14/2005 08:23:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

You can come and stay here during Christmas. We have lots of room, Kerry Bear would love to meet you, and I don't think I can make it through Christmas without some of your homemade fudge:)

 
At 12/14/2005 10:46:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

You'll be fine. With each year, the bad memories will fade a bit more.

Your lights look wonderful!

 
At 12/15/2005 12:48:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

R2Ks, you're right that I have much to be grateful for. I'm trying to keep busy counting my blessings.

Sarah, thanks, but the last thing you need is 8 dogs and I don't know how many people in your house. I'm okay, it's just the usual holiday blues. I'll snap out of it. I always do.

Thanks, Karen. I hope you're right. My memory, when it's working, is a little too good. :)

 
At 12/15/2005 04:35:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Hugs.

Your lights look super cool! I like the 'throw them on the bushes' look! Makes your house all lit up nice and pretty.

I say go buy a Glade pine-scented plug-in. ;)

 
At 12/16/2005 03:40:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

My goodness your lights look fab! Fudge?? See, you DO live on sweets and still have a figure to die for baaah!

 
At 12/16/2005 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Mary. Or, maybe I could clean the house with Pine-sol. :)

Thanks, Michelle, but fudge is a once a year treat. :)

 
At 12/19/2005 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Did someone say fudge? Bring it on!
There is always room for you and the boys here!
Someday soon you will do what I do and look back and say "How could I have ever married him, or dated him, or slept with him in that restaurant bathroom, or that elevator or" ...well you known what I mean, when you look back they were such jerks and he never deserved you anyway!

 
At 12/19/2005 04:05:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home