web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Blow-Out

Something wasn't right. My car was making strange sounds, so I turned up the volume of the radio to drown out the noise. I figured that if I couldn't hear it, then it didn't exist. You do you realize that I am a blonde?

The noise was still drowning out the radio, so fighting panic, I told myself that I would make it home and deal with my car in the morning. I didn't want to consider the prospect of being broken down on a freeway in the middle of the night. That's dangerous enough, but being a woman in such a circumstance presents its own special hazards.

A few seconds later, I knew that I wasn't going to make it home. If I made it off the freeway, I would be lucky. I could feel a tire shredding apart. Pulling over to the right, I limped along slowly hoping that no one would rear-end me. Eventually, I found an off-ramp in a section of the Valley that I wasn't familiar with. Next to the freeway were some homes with barred windows and cars parked out front, so, that is where I stopped. I figured that it would be safer if it looked like I was parked, as opposed to being broken down and defenseless.

Auto Club came fairly quickly, changed my tire and got me on the road again. The problem now was that I had no idea where I was or how to get home. I was next to the freeway, but there was no onramp.

I just started driving, figuring that I was bound to cross a major road that I had heard of. Within a couple of minutes I came to Van Nuys Boulevard, which was fine. That would take me in the general direction I wanted to go. After driving several miles it suddenly occurred to me that I was almost to Sarah's house. As much as I like Sarah, that is not where I meant to go. I had been driving South instead of North. In the daytime that would not have happened, but at night I couldn't see the mountains that I need for navigation. How do people know which way is North if they can't see the mountains?

After a few more false turns, I did make it home safely, although an hour and a half late. The dogs were not happy about that. In case you didn't know, dogs can tell time.

The next morning, I went to Costco to get a new tire. My tires were still fairly new with plenty of tread on them, so I only needed one. I ended up buying four because they couldn't match the tires I already had and unlike accessories, tires shouldn't be mixed and matched. So, my car has new shoes and I have more grey hairs.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 3/03/2006 04:36:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

So glad you made it home in one piece :)...scary stuff.
LOL, i love you solution....turn the radio up!

 
At 3/03/2006 09:53:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

You certainly could have come by for some hot cocoa or something, but I know how tired you are after a long shift. What a pain, I had the same thing happen after a late shift. Why don't the tires ever blow when it's convenient for us?!

 
At 3/03/2006 04:18:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, you mean that you haven't heard of the turning up the radio trick?

Sarah, you're a good friend, but I don't think that you would like my knocking on your door at one a.m. asking for a cup of hot cocoa.

Why do tires have to blow at all? I don't think that I ran over anything. Well, maybe just one bum, but he wasn't sharp.

 
At 3/03/2006 05:13:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Glad you're okay. Losing a tire on the freeway can be bad.

I'm not sure I believe your explanation about north and south. I've lived in the valley. Even in the daytime, the smog can obscure the mountains. :)

Some tips to know if you're going north or south:

1) Get a compass that mounts to your dash or windshield, or

2) Get a GPS (highly recommended!), or

3) If the street numbers on Van Nuys are getting bigger, then you're going north, or

4) If you hit Sherman Way before Vanowen, you're going the wrong way, turn around to go north, or

5) If it's afternoon and the shadows are pointing to your right, you're going right (north), or

6) If you hit the 101, you're going south, or

7) If you hit the 118, you're going north...

;)

 
At 3/03/2006 07:07:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Smog? What Smog? Why are you spreading these unfounded rumors about LA?

1) I don't know how to read a compass. Have you ever noticed that I'm a girl?

2) Like I could ever understand something like that. In case you didn't notice, I am a girl.

3) Like I'm going to be able to remember that. What about east and west? Do you know how easily I get confused?

4) It was when I hit Sherman Way that I realized someone was terribly wrong. I shouldn't have been any further south than Roscoe. Unfortunately, I've never memorized the order of the streets between Roscoe and Sherman Way.

5) If it's bright enough for shadows, then I can see the mountains. (Hopefully)

6) That's true and it did cross my mind, but it's way out of my way.

7) That's what I was hoping for.

 
At 3/03/2006 11:03:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

"Have you ever noticed that I'm a girl?"

I've noticed. ;)

 
At 3/03/2006 11:03:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I'd say more...

but I'm married. :)

 
At 3/04/2006 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Too bad. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home