web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Party Food And Euthanasia

One of the day shift nurses celebrated her birthday today. We got the left-overs. There was the usual party food, pizza, tortilla chips, dip, cake and boiled rice. Because of a lack of counter space, we were using the trash can as a table. That's where the cake and pizza were. For some reason, housekeeping thought that because the food was on a trash can, it was trash. They not only threw it out, they took the trash bag so we couldn't even dig it out and retrieve it. Thank God the plain, boiled rice was okay.

_____________________________

We had a terminally ill patient who we were struggling to keep comfortable without killing him with the morphine. It's not an easy balance to strike. Night shift gave him a little too much morphine and his respirations went down to 4 per minute. He was given narcan, which is the antidote to morphine, and he recovered enough to continue the dying process.

His wife was angry. She didn't mind that we overdosed him, she was upset that we reversed it. She said the next time we overdose him, to let him die. Fortunately, she took him home before we got to overdose him again, but it does present an interesting issue. He was a DNR, meaning, do not resuscitate, but does that mean we shouldn't correct our mistakes? If we make a mistake and just watch a patient die, that sounds like euthanasia.

On the other hand, I do see her point. We're not letting him die. Now that she is in charge of his meds, I'll be surprised if he survives the night.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 3/05/2006 08:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are right to reverse the mistake.

 
At 3/05/2006 10:36:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

I don't think I could deal well with your average day at work.

 
At 3/06/2006 12:33:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Leesa, I'm glad that he went home when he did. Next time we were going to do nothing.

Karen, I wouldn't last one day at your job.

HP, at least the rice eaters were happy. Not everyone eats pizza.

 
At 3/06/2006 02:40:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, what a conundrum. I guess reviving was the right thing as it was a mistake.

 
At 3/06/2006 08:20:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

It's a tricky issue. I could argue it either way in court. I'm glad that I don't have to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home