web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Morning Blues

It's that time of year again. I'm spending every non-working, non-sleeping sunlit hour working in the garden. I'm about a month behind schedule, but the warm weather is holding out, so it should work out.

As the trees get bigger, my garden keeps getting shadier. I dug up some of the sadder looker roses and replaced them with camellias. Camellias don't do well here, the dry wind sucks the life out of them, but I'm feeling optimistic. They're in a protected spot near the swamp. If they fail it's only money, right?

I also bought a morning glory. I had one at another house and the only way to get rid of it was to move. It grew like something in a horror flick, requiring aggressive pruning and digging every week and where it touched my skin, I got a rash. In the hottest weather I had to go after it in long sleeves and gloves and it would still get me.

This time I'm putting it in a spot with bad soil, so maybe it won't grow so fast. It may still be a major mistake, but look how pretty the flowers are. Could anything that pretty be evil?


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 11/05/2006 08:34:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

That's a great shot. I love the the glow of the light in the center.

 
At 11/06/2006 06:54:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

It is a nice shot. We had a camellia for a few years. Had to move it when we had the fence redone. Survived about a year.

I've heard that morning glorys can really take over an area. Around here, blackberries are what take over any patch of land they can find. Huge thickets ten feet high. But at least they're tasty. We see people picking along the streets all the time.

 
At 11/07/2006 11:49:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Dave.

Alan, now I'm starting to have second thoughts. Perhaps I should just plant it in a big pot so that it can't escape.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home