web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bird Rescue



There was a bit of excitement in the house. Even though the weather was currently "very cool" according to the weather guy on TV, I had all of the doors and windows open. With the temperature down in the low 70's, I just bundled up against the chill.

Later, I heard Tommy throwing himself at the wall. Looking to see what was going on, I found this poor little creature in the house. I screamed and Tommy stopped the hot pursuit. I grabbed a light-weight throw and carefully wrapped it around the bird and took him outside.

I tossed the blanket open, expecting the bird to fly off, but instead he landed on the stucco wall and just held on. Since he was just standing there, I took some pictures. The camera was only a few inches away from him and he didn't flinch. He must have been paralyzed with fear. A few minutes later he took off. I always like a happy ending, don't you?

By the way, does anyone know what kind of bird this is?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 11/01/2006 12:25:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I think it's a Brown Creeper, which likes to go up the sides of trees looking for bugs to eat. Curved bill, white stripe through eye, matches the picture in my bird book, except the markings on yours aren't quite as pronounced.

 
At 11/01/2006 06:20:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

"With the temperature down in the low 70's, I just bundled up against the chill."

Low 70's? That's speedo time. I've been chipping ice off the windshield for the past three days.

 
At 11/02/2006 01:17:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, I've never heard of brown creepers. I would have just called it what I call all birds that I can't identify, a sparrow.

Alan, cool Fall weather in the 70's is one of the perks of living in LA. It helps make up for the 117 degree temperatures earlier this summer.

 
At 11/04/2006 12:28:00 PM, Blogger Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Nope, it is a Carolina Warbler, (their call is "tea kettle, tea kettle)and would you belive I had one in my house two week ago? You can catch how it went in my house, with THREE cats involved in the rescue at
http://jillthinksdifferent.blogspot.com/2006/10/yesterdays-it-started-to-rain-actually.html

My daughter is an onc nurse, so I read nursing blog....

 
At 11/04/2006 01:08:00 PM, Blogger Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Ooops, I mean Carolina WREN, not warbler.

There is also a Carolina Chickadee.

Check out your Carolina WREN at:

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/677/_/target.aspx

I'm from San Diego, where mockingbirds are SO loud and obnoxious. Now in Texas, the mockingbirds are sweet semi quiet birds. Same bird, just different cultures. You know, the Texas girls vs California girl thing.

 
At 11/04/2006 01:11:00 PM, Blogger Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

One more try...Marsh wren, since it was in California.

 
At 11/05/2006 10:41:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Jill, thank you for visiting and I appreciate your taking the time to identify the bird.

Nice hat in your photo.

 
At 2/23/2008 12:28:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's a Bewicks Wren. Very common in California.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home