web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Retail Therapy

I needed to quickly buy a present. I went to T.J.Maxx where I usually have good luck. I looked at shoes, purses, jewelry, clothes and housewares. There was no budget. I could buy anything that struck my fancy and yet, came out empty-handed. The present was for me. How is it possible to go into a women's store and not find one thing I even remotely wanted?

Dejected at not getting a present, I bought a car load of manure instead, along with some heater filters. Don't I know how to have fun on a Saturday afternoon? The only thing that could have made the day any more fun is putting gas in my car and air in my tires.

I did get invited to a donkey class by someone at work, but I have no desire to do that, whatever that is. She showed me a photo of her dressed up in a 1950's nursing costume with a donkey covered in bandages. Apparently, the class involves dressing up in costumes with your donkey. I don't really get it, but I have been known to do that with my dogs. It's funny how it seems normal to dress up a dog, but odd to dress up a donkey. It's probably best that I not find out if I like donkeys. The odds are that I would and the last thing I need is a donkey living in my house and sleeping in my bed.

I've been a little bit sick for almost a month now. I was only shopping for a couple of hours, but by the time I got home, I just collapsed in the middle of a dog heap. Dinner was a beer, jalapeno potato chips, ice cream, dates, diet rootbeer and a peanut butter cup. Give me a break, I've been eating healthy food all week. I couldn't treat myself with retail therapy, so I used junk food therapy instead. They both work about as well. It's fun while you're doing it and then you regret it.

I need to make at least four more manure runs next week. At least my car no longer smells like dog.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 10/22/2006 11:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd feel like a real "ass" dressing up a donkey. On the other hand, if you had one, you wouldn't have to make any more manure runs.

 
At 10/22/2006 03:21:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Mmmm... jalapeno potato chips. What brand?

 
At 10/22/2006 03:21:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Sorry... and you're not feeling good. Have you seen your doctor?

 
At 10/22/2006 05:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>"Dejected at not getting a present, I bought a car load of manure instead..."
This is, I believe, the finest comment I have read on the Internet this year.

 
At 10/22/2006 06:59:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, that's a good point. On the other hand, I suppose that I would be shoveling inside my house.

Lisa, they are Tim's. I haven't seen a doctor because I just have what everybody else has at work. I'm sure that it's viral and has no cure other than rest.

Mikeachim, thanks, I appreciate that. I'm glad that you could visit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home