web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Bad Farmer

It's a good thing that I don't rely upon what I grow in order to eat. I have a good crop of pomegranates, but something is eating them.
These apples are no more than an inch in diameter. They taste something like raw potatoes. Nothing is eating these, including me.
My quince tree produced a good crop, but all of the fruit mysteriously disappeared. The same thing happened with the pears. Birds, squirrels and rats don't like quince or pears, so I suspect the gardeners. Yes, it's true that I don't eat them, but still, I like to look at them. They went missing before I could get a picture.

The mulberry crop was a disaster. Last year I ate them until I was sick. This year they fell off the tree without ripening. I blame the unusually hot weather.

The green apple tree grew enough apples for a pie, but the fruit all disappeared. I'm not sure who to blame. Gardeners again?

The apricots and figs were eaten by the birds. Wrapping each branch in yards of plastic wrap didn't work.

I had over two dozen tomato plants and didn't get a single tomato. It could have been the hot weather again. The only thing I was able to eat was basil, so, I ate basil salads, basil sandwiches, basil pasta and brushetta. Basil in that kind of quantity is an acquired taste, apparently. I fed my parents one of my basil meals and ever since, they have wanted to take me out to dinner whenever it's my turn to cook.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 10/14/2006 04:01:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

How could someone steal your fruit without your knowing it? They'd have to know when you weren't there, like with a camera on a tripod or something. ;)

 
At 10/14/2006 04:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a cherry tree that usually produced enough for a pie or two. Shomehow they always vanished, too. I wonder why the lemons never did? We always had gallons of lemonaide in the house.

 
At 10/15/2006 01:30:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

We had a lemon tree in Phoenix... it produced so many lemons that it would have been impossible to use them all. However the gardeners would always steal them...and hide them... I just went out w/ a bag and told them to have as many as they liked... they didn't know I was watching them.

 
At 10/15/2006 08:33:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, lol, I hadn't thought of the neighbors.

Connie, you must miss the cherry tree. What kind of fruit can you grow in your climate?

Madwag, my parents once did that with an orange tree and the gardeners took every single orange. They meant to take some, not all.

 
At 10/16/2006 11:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The local farmer's markets display lots ot different kinds of produce. Its just a matter of establishing the plants. This year we did manage to grow a (singular!) tomato. The deer ate the strawberries. I would like more lemons, but we don't have a smudge pot handy.

 
At 10/16/2006 02:32:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

It's been our opinion that one cannot have too much basil.

 
At 10/22/2006 05:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word. That pomegranate looks like it's taken a round from something militaristic.
I think, for the humour value, you should make a very very small apple pie. Just think of how bloggable the experience would be. :)
It does sound like you've had a horrid run of bad luck with it all, barring the basil. (I have a basil plant in my bedroom - shaking the leaves a bit is better than pot pourri for making the room smell good enough to eat).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home