web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Simple Toys And Treasured Trash

I work with a woman whose grandson has every toy known to mankind. Not only that, but he has two of every toy. He has one set of toys at his parent's house and another duplicate set at his grandma's house. That way he won't risk feeling deprived when he's visiting grandma.

His favorite toy is a bowl of fake fruit. A small fortune has been spent on his mountain of toys, but he would rather play with fake fruit. He wore out the red apple and has been driving grandma crazy with his begging and pining for a new red apple. I'm a friend of grandma, so when I saw a fake red apple in the dollar store, I just had to buy it. In fact, I bought two. Now he has a spare, just in case.

It seems kind of strange to me that with all of the fancy toys out there, a kid would prefer fruit. But then, I got hours of enjoyment out of simple toys when I was a kid. But then, I had no choice, all toys were simple way back then.




My parents came over for dinner and took home with them a watermelon rind and a used tea bag. My parents are not poor by any means, but they grew up during the depression and the smallest things seem precious to them. The rind still had an inch or two of red fruit attached, so it couldn't be thrown out. The tea bag was used for only one cup of tea. My mother can make that tea bag last another week. I don't even want to go into the piece of foil that my mom washed. I thought that the purpose of foil was to avoid washing a pan. It defeats the purpose to wash the foil.

I was born long after the depression, but it continues to play a part in my life. I must seem extravagant to my mom the way I go through tea bags. I might spend as much as a nickel a day on tea bags.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 10/08/2006 08:08:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

As kids we would draw a dashboard inside of a cardboard box and then sit in the boxes pretending we were driving.

My fancy toys were an Erector Set, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs and an electric train (I would occasionly put thin copper wire across the transformer terminals and watch it burn in half).

For high tech, there was the Kenner "Give A Show" Projector, which showed cartoon strips on the wall.

 
At 10/08/2006 08:50:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I didn't have many toys as a kid. I had Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs, but no train or erector set. My folks gave me a phonograph, but only two records: Scheherezade (good album) and The Sound of Music. I also had a Tonka truck and a crystal radio kit I put together.

 
At 10/09/2006 01:27:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

My mum inlaw is the same way as your mum. But now we are the same way becuase we have to recycle EVERYTHING... even food waste. They have a food waste recycling truck that comes once a week and they take it to a place that makes compost. We have our own composter... so we don't have to worry about it.

 
At 10/09/2006 01:36:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Kids are so spoiled these days, I'm glad our dogs are not spoiled like that;)

 
At 10/09/2006 09:21:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I used to work with a fellow who would reuse his tea bags several times.

I am very nonjudgmental about other people's quirks, as long as they don't end up causing me a problem. As the saying goes, one man's sauce is another man's meat.

 
At 10/10/2006 02:21:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I didn't have many toys at all, i had more books than anything. My daughter when small, also wasinfatuated with fake fruit. I have a bowl of fake fruit from Bali, the watermelon still has "A"s teeth marks in it!

 
At 10/10/2006 09:39:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

The frugality of the Depression generation is amazing.

 
At 10/10/2006 12:02:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, I liked cardboard boxes too. I made doll houses out of them.

Dave, I mostly had Barbi dolls, which was fine. They kept me busy hours a day. I didn't completely stop playing with them until I was around 17.

Madwag, I don't have to recycle, but I do. The watermelon rind would have gone in the compost bin instead of home with my mom.

Sarah, you're right. We would never spoil our dogs like that. ;)

Gary, that's a good attitude. So, did you bring your coworker used tea bags for him to use? :)

Michelle, I feel so deprived. I never had fake fruit to play with.

Beajerry, it never ceases to amaze me. Those must have been incredibly hard times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home