web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Dirty Bed And A Truffle

What a day to leave my camera at home. A coworker told me to go in one of the rooms and look at a bed that was ready for a new patient. The first thing I noticed was a pair of dirty socks hanging from the trapeze. That was enough to amuse me for the day, but there was more. The foot board was splashed with blood.

Housekeeping hadn't even made a good faith effort to clean the bed. The only thing they did was change the sheets, if that. Even if the housekeeper forgot to wipe down the bed, how could he fail to notice the dirty socks? No wonder infections are rampant.




Some visitors wanted to know if I knew that there was a man on the floor. This was news to me, so I asked where. They pointed into one of the rooms, so I rushed over and sure enough, there was a man on the floor. Not only that, but he was naked and lying on his back.

Have you ever known a dog that has that "oh, there's manure, I must roll in it" instinct? This patient had that same odd instinct. He had pooped, rolled in it and just to be extra thorough, had rubbed it on his hands and arms. He looked like a truffle.

My coworkers were anxious to get him back in bed immediately, but I wanted to wash him first. I just knew there was no way we could pick him up without getting that mess on us. Have you ever tried to pick up a 160 pound wet noodle covered in poo? There was just no way I was going to even try.

I got a basin of water and started scrubbing him and splashing him with soapy water. He wasn't happy because the water was cold. Well, I wasn't happy because he was lying on the floor covered in poo. So there. (The water wasn't really cold, it just wasn't warm.)

By the time he was clean and dry, the lift team arrived and put him back in bed. When asked how he ended up on the floor, the patient answered that he was trying to jump out the window and missed. I'll say. He wasn't even close. Next time we need to put him closer to the window. (Just kidding.)


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 9/29/2006 09:24:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Maybe he wanted to jump out the window because he discovered he was being tended by sick nurses.

 
At 9/29/2006 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

holy cow!!! I can not handle poo... at all. Was he medicated or something??? I know that I said some really bizar things when I was doped up... I walked to the nurses station and asked for a grape flavoured pop sicle and told the nurse about my trick pet pig...that I didn't have... I told a few people about my pig, I don't remember any of it.

 
At 9/30/2006 10:26:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Do you wear full body environmental suits when dealing with patients like this?

 
At 9/30/2006 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, well, he sure got back at us for being sick, even if his escape attempt failed

Madwag, he just had ordinary dementia.

Alan, that's for wimps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home