web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, September 22, 2006

I Don't Care If It Worked For Napoleon

This board has appeared at work. This can't be good. I have vague recollections of getting stars on a board when I was a kid, but that all stopped before my teen years.

I can't believe that at age fifty, I'm once again faced with getting a star on a board. I think it's demeaning, although not everyone feels that way. A few chipper fools seem to think it's just fine, but most people I've talked to just roll their eyes in reaction to the board.

Napoleon noticed that men will risk their lives in battle for a little piece of ribbon. If men are willing to risk death in order to wear a little piece of ribbon proudly on their chest, I can see how my employer thought that we might bust our butts in order to get a star on a board. It might have worked for Napoleon, but I'm not falling for it.

I already work hard at my job and a star will not motivate me to try even harder. This board feels like an insult to my intelligence.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 9/22/2006 01:49:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

Wow! It looks rather like one of the bulletin boards in the First Grade classroom I aide in. :-) Actually we use a rainbow system to keep the kids motivated and well behaved. At least that's what it is supposed to do in principle, but it's not working. First graders are like little adults. Just as most intelligent adults are not motivated by a paper "star", these kids aren't motivated by a piece of paper the color of the rainbow.

 
At 9/22/2006 03:45:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Whoever thought this up should get a star for lamest idea of the month!

 
At 9/22/2006 06:53:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I think you should try to get a star. Maybe it comes with a lottery ticket or something like that. Curious minds want to know!

 
At 9/23/2006 08:33:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

When no one is looking, put a picture of the person who decided to make the board, on the board. It was probably your boss. Start with them. :)

They will think you're greatful, when really you're being sarcastic.

 
At 9/23/2006 10:14:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Irene, smart kids. When I was a kid, I was naive enough to want my stars.

Alan, a committee came up with this idea. Enough said.

Gary, there is no prize involved other than the pleasure of having everyone else feel bad because they lost, assuming that they care.

Lisa, the sarcasm would be missed on these people. You give them way too much credit.

We have another bulletin board nearby with all of our photos on it. I'm tempted to make a banner and hang it on the board that says, "We are all shining stars."

 
At 9/24/2006 11:03:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

What a silly idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home