web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Too Safe

Sometimes late at night when there is no one else around, I like to play with my car. I have favorite curves that I like to test to see what my car can do on them. On some of the better curves, my car has been doing something that drives me nuts. The car grips the road and will do everything I want it to when suddenly a yellow light on the dash says slip and the power is cut to the engine. It takes several killer seconds for the power to be restored. I feel like I'm being punished for trying to make the car do what it was designed to do.

The annoying thing is that my car is not slipping, sliding or skidding. It is hugging the road. What is the fun in having a sports car if it forces you to drive like it is a minivan?

I didn't buy my car just because it is pretty, I also wanted a car that would be fun to drive. Fun doesn't mean cup holders, a CD player or quiet interior. Fun means that I can fly around curves and pretend that I'm a fighter pilot. There is such a thing as too many safety features.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 9/18/2006 01:47:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

That would annoy me too! I hate being protected from myself. ;) And I hate when the car wants to strap me in. If I want my seat belt on (and I always do) I'll fasten it myself, thank you very much!

Have you asked the dealer about it?

 
At 9/18/2006 01:54:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

hmmmm... I got an email from one of your blog readers saying she couldn't read your blog because it was only displaying the header and background.

I tried it myself in both IE and Firefox, and it works fine in IE but not in Firefox. I thought maybe my last comment would fix it by republishing your page, but that didn't work. Neither your main page nor your post pages are working right in Firefox. Have you changed your template or other options?

 
At 9/18/2006 08:04:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, my car has stability control and I don't think that there is a thing that I can do about it. I saw an article about this in the paper and other people are also unhappy about this.

I haven't touched my blog. It works fine for me at home and at work. I have no idea what the computer is using to access it. I'm at a loss about the Firefox problem.

 
At 9/18/2006 10:02:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

My wife drives the minivan like a sports car. I always pray this centripetal force thing really works.

 
At 9/19/2006 11:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. It doesn't sound right to me that the power should be cut. What does the Owner's Manual say about this?

2. After meandering through some Google results, see http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm for an explanation of a limited slip differential.

3. IE vs Firefox, etc.
A. On the very first line at the top of your screen it should identify the browser you are using.

B. Pull up http://validator.w3.org and insert your page address (misadventurousmelissa, etc.). Your page has multiple errors (non-standard html coding). This is the fault of the page creator that you are using. Blogger should clean things up and adhere to standards.

IE is notoriously non-standard. The Mozilla (Firefox, and relative) products are not perfect, but much closer than the Microsoft codes.

 
At 9/19/2006 09:40:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Paul, I don't have an owner's manual. The car was used. The next time I take it in to get serviced, I'll ask about it.

I guess that my browser is AOL. That's what is on top of the page.

Is it Blogger that is the problem or the personal coding for my web page design?

 
At 9/20/2006 12:40:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

If you didn't change anything, then Blogger must have changed something that only affects your Blog. Other Blogspot blogs still work in Firefox. There's some strange conflict between your blog and Firefox.

I copied your web page to my computer and did some tests, and I may have narrowed down the problem. (For the technically savvy, I commented out the main CSS style section and the page would then display in Firefox, albeit terribly.)

I'll work on it some more when I get more time.

 
At 9/20/2006 11:15:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Dave, I appreciate that. Will you allow me to pay you for your trouble?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home